Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Any Yalies still proud that Bush went to Yale?

During lunch my wife was reading "Doonesbury." She smiled and said, "Trudeau's having more of his fun today at Bush's expense. He's another Yale graduate embarrassed that Bush went there too."

"I wonder how many are still proud of it?" I'd learned, from the president of Yale himself, that quite a few Yalies were quite proud of it (as late as two years ago, at any rate).

But not me. My own Bush embarrassment has of course been on record for years, since I wrote for my 40th class reunion,
In 2001, with chagrined incredulity and embarrassment, I learned that Yale would bestow an honorary degree on George W. Bush. As a citizen, I thought that Bush’s unmerited and highly questionable attainment of our Presidency had been embarrassment enough.
    ...So Bush had given a bad name to legacy admissions policies, to America’s way of choosing a President, and now to the granting of honorary degrees. [The complete text was published on this blog as part of my 2006 correspondence with Yale president Richard C. Levin1.]
If anyone reading this knows (or knows of) a Yale graduate still proud that our Great Decider went to Yale, please be kind enough to comment here and let me know. Don't bother to mention Joseph I. Lieberman. I know about him.
_____________
  1. My correspondence with President Levin was published on this blog in June 2006. My first letter to him appeared on June 25, 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment