Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, April 24, 2009

Neighbor Killdeer

There's a nest of killdeer eggs out behind our place, on the bank of the drainage pond.

The eggs look (without disturbing the mother to examine them closely) to be at least an inch in diameter. See how Mother Killdeer tried to distract us (predators) by feigning at a distance from her nest to be wounded (and hence easy prey, so why go after her eggs?).

I estimate I was 8-10 feet from the nest and 20-25 feet from the mother when I took the photos, using a Nikon D60.

3 comments:

  1. What beautiful eggs ! I love Killdeer and hear them all the time. Thanks for the great pictures of the eggs & mama !
    Have a great wk'end !

    Love Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice shots. You have to love the new camera. I would guess you cropped them and were a little ways away from the nest and the Killdeer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, thanks, Steve. I estimate I was 8-10 feet from the nest and 20-25 feet from the mother when I took the photos.

    ReplyDelete