Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

To protect a necessary fantasy, II

The quiet, private response I quoted Sunday wasn't the last one I received. A very similar one followed on Monday, right down to one of the same Bible quotations and including the statement that "it would be great if you could ponder these thoughts in regards to the Bible." (The earlier writer had hoped "that you will think about these verses.") I wonder whether they attend the same church.
    The second writer (let's call her by the Greek letter Nu) also said:
If [the Bible] is not the inspired word of God then it is all bunk and none of it is trustworthy. Because it claims to be the inspired Word of God and Jesus says we live by these words that proceed from the mouth of God. If it's not from the mouth of God, making it inspired, then it's all a bunch of lies and Jesus is a sham. If Jesus is a sham, we don't need the Bible anyway, because He is the Reason it matters. But we know that's not true.
    I replied that I'd actually thought about the whole thing quite a bit and even had a dream about it. I gave Nu links to Sunday's and Monday's posts. And I added:
By the way, I'm afraid that "The Bible is all bunk" does not follow from the fact that some of its statements are false, including the one about its being inspired. You're claiming too much. Or, rather, making a simple logic error.
In very short order, I received a more lengthy reply, but one that made no reference whatever to anything I'd written, as though Nu might not even have glanced at my posts. She started right off with "Morris, Please carefully consider these issues in regards to the Bible...." It was, of course, most annoying that I was expected to be the one doing all of the careful considering. What was Nu doing?

Nevertheless, I bit my tongue and as calmly as possible made a thoughtful reply:
I hope (against the evidence) that you would like to understand where I'm coming from, and would be willing to look at the weaknesses in your own position in order to honor good sense and rationality. While I think that you have (or can readily obtain) all of the resources you need to do that, I'll try to help you in my own modest way by responding to each of the points in your email.
    Accordingly, I'll pair my comments here with Nu's original paragraphs (in italics):
Regarding the necessity of having God as [the Bible's] source, we can consider prophecy. Who else but God could know what would happen hundreds of years in the future? What mere human could get 300 prophecies correct about one person (Jesus) over a period of hundreds and now thousands of years? No one could have concocted fulfilled prophecy.
    It's rather easy to "fulfill" prophecy in a text written hundreds of years after the one in which the prophecies were made. As for "prophecies" that hadn't yet occurred in the second set of writings (the New Testament), it's rather easy to "predict" events if the predictions are vague enough.

The Bible’s insight into human nature and the solutions it provides to our fallen condition are also evidence of its divine source. In addition, the Bible’s honesty about the weaknesses of even its heroes is evidence that it isn’t just a human book. By contrast, we tend to build ourselves up in our own writing.
    So, Shakespeare's works were inspired by God too? My appreciation for Shakespeare grew a lot lately in the course of my reading Frank Harris's memoir, My Life and Loves (1931). He considered Jesus the greatest man who ever lived (primarily because of his teachings on compassion), and rated Shakespeare right up there with him.

As further evidence that the Bible is God’s word, we can note its survival and influence throughout the last two millennia despite repeated attempts to destroy it.
    So, Plato's dialogues and Aristotle's writings (and the writings of other contemporaries of the Old Testament and New Testament authors) were also inspired by God?
    And what about the evil influences of the Bible, the murder and persecution of Jews—the ones who killed Christ!, the slaughter of Muslims during the Crusades, the persecution of "witches," the racking and burning at the stake of heretics, the showing to Galileo of the instruments of torture to force him to recant his scientific findings, etc.? We may be seeing Muslim atrocities in our age, but the Christians had their ages too.

What Scripture proclaims about itself finds confirmation in our experience. For example, the practical changes it brings in individuals and societies are evidence that it is true.
    Ditto with respect to innumerable written works. Was Montaigne inspired by God? Spinoza? And many others....

One more note. We have the testimony of Jesus about Scripture whose resurrection is evidence that He knew what He was talking about!
    Say you.

Morris, There is much evidence that the Bible is true and that it is indeed the Word of God.
    As I've already agreed, there is truth in the Bible. But there is also falsehood, statements for which there is no credible evidence. Contradictions, both parts of which cannot be true, by definition. People have always picked and chosen what parts to believe and let guide them, what parts to ignore as stupid or wishful (or even immoral). What parts do you yourself ignore?

What proof do you have to show that it isnt the Word of God?
    I'm afraid that the burden of proof was on you, and it appears that you have let it just slide off your back [possibly with a little push to get it going]. While I don't claim that I've proved anything, over the past two or three years I've introduced a lot of moral, judicial, and scientific evidence that at the very least throws tremendous doubt on tenets of religious faith. Better yet, I've frequently cited the excellent works of Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, and Richard Dawkins, who say it so much better and more thoroughly than I do. And Bertrand Russell. And even Thomas Paine. My blog is more for my own entertainment (and keeping myself alive, as I wrote on September 21) than to convince anybody else.
"One final thought for today"—I hadn't noticed that that was the subject line of Nu's note (the one with the above italicized paragraphs); she may have been saying that she hoped for no reply. I do think so now, for in the time that I've been writing this post, I've heard from Nu again, this time with the explicit opening,
This will be my final reply to you on this subject
and closing,
This requires no response, please. [italics mine]
Not having had time to carefully consider the five hundred words in between, I won't comment further on Nu's latest.

No comments:

Post a Comment