Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Want a case of cookbooks?

An Arkansas cousin and her family came by yesterday on their way to Kitty Hawk. She had won a contest selling Arkansas cookbooks. She said the way the contest worked was that participants would get their name entered into a drawing for the sale of two copies of the book. She said she asked herself, "Who would want to buy a lot of these?" The answer that came to her was that maybe Arkansas's tourist information centers would like to offer the book for sale.
    "I phoned or emailed every information center in the state. The smaller ones were mostly not interested, but I sold cases of books to some of the others." She didn't tell us how many copies she sold, but she said her name was entered "a lot of times." The prize had been donated by someone in the military: the cost of lodging for a week's vacation. (I've googled on "arkansas cookbook" but not found anything that I'm confident pertains, even though when I googled on her name I did get a few hits.)
    Because my cousin and her parents and brother had spent a few days at Okracoke with us almost twenty years ago, and she and her husband spent some time in Chapel Hill the year they got married, they decided to bring their four children (ages 3 to 13) over this way.




My cousin's husband told us that so far it had rained all of the way from Little Rock. I told them that if I'd realized this was the week for their vacation I'd have asked God for no rain rather than for rain. My cousin laughed at my joke and saw me noticing she was turning red. "I've been finding myself lately," she said, "coming out at odd times with 'Great God a-mighty.'"
    "Great God a-mighty!" she exclaimed.

No comments:

Post a Comment