Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, November 28, 2010

George W. Bush remains certain

On June 2, 2006, I wrote to the president of Yale University:
I believe that Bush was so far from deserving the [honorary] degree [that Yale conferred on him at the 2001 commencement] that in the years to come Yale alumni familiar with Bush’s “accomplishments” will be as amazed as I was chagrined and embarrassed that in the year 2001 our alma mater conferred such an honor on such a man.
President Lewin didn't contradict that assessment1.

And neither, apparently, does George W. Bush himself, if his recent book is any evidence. I of course haven't read Decision Points, but my wife had told me, "There's a review of Bush's book in The New Yorker, I think you need to read it." She added, "The review, not the book."
    I said, "I understood what you meant."
    She said, "I would never read anything by that man. But I think you'll like the review."
    The review is "Dead Certain," by George Packer. He writes:
What's remarkable about Decision Points is how frequently and casually it leaves out facts, large and small, whose absence draws more attention than their inclusion would have. In his account of the 2000 election, Bush neglects to mention that he lost the popular vote. He refers to the firing, in 2002, of his top economic adviser, Lawrence Lindsey, but not to the fact that it came immediately after Lindsey violated the Administration's optimistic line by saying that the Iraq war could cost as much as two hundred billion dollars....
Packer says "what's remarkable" as though there's nothing else remarkable about Decision Points, but I attribute that to a momentary lapse by both the writer and his editor at The New Yorker. There's at least one thing even more remarkable than that:
The structure of Decision Points, with each chapter centered on a key issue...reveals the essential qualities of the Decider. There are hardly any decision points at all....
    In Bush's telling, the non-decision decision is a constant feature of his Presidential policymaking....
    ...Bush immediately caricatured opposing views and impugned the motives of those who held them. If there was an honest and legitimate argument on the other side, then the President would have to defend his non-decision, taking it out of the redoubt of personal belief and into the messy empirical realm of contingency and uncertainty. So critics of his stem-cell ban are dismissed as scientists eager for more government cash, or advocacy groups looking to "raise large amounts of money," or Democrats who saw "a political winner."
    ...
    Bush ends Decision Points with the sanguine thought that history's verdict on his Presidency will come only after his death. During his years in office, two wars turned into needless disasters, and the freedom agenda created such deep cynicism around the world that the word itself was spoiled. In America, the gap between the rich few and the vast majority widened dramatically, contributing to a historic financial crisis and an ongoing recession; the poisoning of the atmosphere continued unabated; and the Constitution had less and less say over the exercise of executive power. Whatever the judgments of historians, these will remain foregone conclusions.
I probably didn't "need" to read the review, but at least it served to remind me that I should be grateful that George W. Bush's uncritical evangelism played a helpful role in the progress of my thought from uncertainly theistic to confidently atheistic.
_______________
  1. Of course, in President Lewin's need not to offend anyone who might donate money to Yale, he didn't indicate whether he agreed or didn't agree with my assessment of Bush.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with a great deal of what Packer writes. The problem is, like many Bush critics, he overreaches, and analysis turns into vilification. The fighting in Afghanistan has hardly been a "disaster," but opening a new front in Iraq certainly had bad consequences. The yearning for freedom around the world has not diminished. The gap between the rich and poor did widen, but not "dramatically." The recession that started in 2000 ended in 2003 by any reasonable economic index. All recent presidents deserve equal blame for pollution and the lack of a coherent energy policy. Executive power, as exercised in time of war, no more defied the Constitution than at other times in our history. For example, no American citizens were put in internment camps. This is the kind of unbalanced criticism that creates and reinforces a polarized society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As ever, thanks, Ken, for a moderating voice. You remind me of Ted Koppel, specifically of a commentary by him that I read yesterday: "Olbermann, O'Reilly and the death of real news."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken, I feel deservedly chastised by your comment. Of course, I was myself vilifying Bush and have done so continually for a decade. I loathe the man and think he's a criminal. Unfortunately, as you point out, by continuing to write publicly about him in the way I do, I do nothing to counteract the polarization of our society (and only reinforce it). I wonder, however, whether anyone CAN do anything to counteract it; I believe that President Obama has tried to do so, but without any effect that I can see.
        By the way, that Ted Koppel commentary that I referred to in my previous comment seems to suggest that much of the polarization came about as a result of the discovery that "network news" could be profitable if it was presented from a point of view that appealed to audiences. Interesting idea, that our "fourth estate" might have been a significant influence on the body politic.
        But it appears that there had to have already been a desire in people for journalism that appealed to their own view of things, if order for there to be a profit potential. I myself have been much irritated by news that dutifully reports "both sides," where one of the sides, from my point of view, is balderdash. For example, "Republican X today said, '....' And Democrat Y said, '....' Now, YOU decide which to believe." That kind of "balanced account" is nonsense, but at least a little fairer than Faux News's "fair and balanced" travesty.
        I hold such reporting accountable for being derelict in its duty to analyze the situation and give an objective analysis, as the PBS News Hour (with Jim Lehrer) does quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, my friend, in my opinion you'd make an excellent member of the Jim Lehrer news team!

    ReplyDelete