Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

We didn't wear Prada

Alas that I am not myself pictured in the accompanying photograph. I might well have been. For when I was about the age of these youngstersr, I too wore clothes made from flour sacks. My mother made them. She also made herself dresses from flour sacks.
    A girl cousin (now in her seventies) recently sent me the photograph, along with some verse, which I have edited a bit so as not to embarrass Moristotle unduly (with apologies to the original author, said to be Colleen B. Hubert):
In that long ago time when things were saved,
When roads were graveled and barrels were staved,
When worn-out clothing were used as rags,
And there wasn't any plastic wrap or bags,
And the well and the pump were way out back,
A versatile item to have was the flour sack.
Well, actually, I think that's quite enough of that (without including the other eight or ten verses).

My cousin wrote (or maybe it was Colleen):
All these girls' dresses were made from flour sacks...
    Panties were made from them too.
    The boys’ shirts and underwear were made from flour sacks or feed sacks also.
I don't remember any flour sack underwear myself.

4 comments:

  1. This pic is awesome. I am a sucker for old photography...photography in general. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Uncle Mo !
    We do own a quilt made with some flour sacks on it, very pretty ! A local lady made it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When mother died, I shipped her albums here and scanned most of the photos. In some of the older ones, I have no idea who the folks are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Uncle MO, for the very neat pic! I am wrapping up a day of getting ready for the big time together at Daryl Brown's home:(Angela's boy friend). There will be: Jenny and Bruce and Angela and Daryl and his family member's, Joe, Valerie, and our grand son Cooper and a friend of Daryl's. In other words a good crew as we would say in Arkansas. (Sooie pig Sooie, go Razorbacks)Ok, Good nite and Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
    Bruce Story Ozark,Mo

    ReplyDelete