Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Two days to go minus two

I've told some people who asked me what I would do in retirement simply that I'd go out a little later in the morning to put out the bird seed.
    I was going to do that this morning, but it hit me that our feathered visitors shouldn't have to wait because of my change of circumstances. I took the seed out at about the usual time (early).
    I'm glad I did. I felt better in my heart and conscience. (Aren't they sort of the same thing?)
    Today has effectively been the first day of my retirement, because I'm taking a vacation day on Monday, the day before Official Retirement Day One on Tuesday. It has been a happy day. I've enjoyed yelling "I'm retired" to neighbors out in their yards as I've driven or walked by.
    I went into a shop along Clay Street in Mebane (the site of the City's annual Dogwood Festival today) and told the proprietresses that I had a tie rack I don't use anymore, would they be interested in buying it from me to sell in their shop?
    They would. "Congratulations on your retirement. What are you doing to do?"
    "I'm going to go out later in the morning now to put out the bird seed."
     (It's still a good line, even though I now know it's a lie.)

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for you. My grandmother used to say "Birds ate between 6 and 8 am"....I asked "What about when the time changes?" I wish you well in retirement! -- Kathy Harris

    ReplyDelete