Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Ry Cooder's political protest music

I hadn't heard anything of Ry Cooder since I watched Wim Wenders's documentary film, Buena Vista Social Club (1999—an informative and enjoyable film, by the way). The article For Ry Cooder, a Dog’s Life and a Deal With the Devil, published yesterday in The New York Times, talks about Cooder's latest AlbumElection Special,” which takes on Republicans. Excerpt:
On Tuesday he released a follow-up, “Election Special” (Nonesuch), in which he pokes fun at Mitt Romney, the Republican Party and the Koch brothers, the Kansas industrialists who back the Tea Party movement and other conservative causes. In a telephone interview from his home in Santa Monica, Calif., Mr. Cooder, 65, talked about writing protest music and his need for acupuncture and French classical music to relax in such troubling times. [Edited excerpts from the conversation follow].
    Here's the link to listen to tracks of  Election Special.

5 comments:

  1. If you go to Nonesuch Records website and connect with their Ry Cooder page there is a link to Election Special which has samples of the album tracks. Cooder is a folklorist with a strong awareness of how to give a voice to the voiceless with his music. I've been listening since the 70s, I'm always interested when he comes out with new material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, thanks! I'll check this out tomorrow. I've been busy most of the afternoon and evening. I bet you've seen Buena Vista Social Club, too, haven't you?

      Delete
    2. Yes, and I have the Carnegie Hall live performance CD, which is quite nice.

      Delete
    3. Tom, bless you, you are a true aficiando, and I doff my sombrero to you, sir. Thanks again for the tip. Much appreciated. I'm listening as I write this....

      Delete