Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, August 23, 2013

Fish for Friday

Madison Kimrey of Burlington
has attended three
Moral Monday protests
Edited by Morris Dean

[Anonymous selections from recent correspondence]

Plucky young woman: "McCrory spurns young activist's request."

I was prepared for the Governor to ignore me or say no to a meeting with me. What I was not prepared for was this:
When asked about a 12-year-old protester who wants to meet with him, McCrory laughed and said the notion is “ridiculous."
    “This is all very liberal groups using children as props to push a very far left agenda.” ["–McCrory praises his vetoes and criticizes liberal opposition in radio interview"]
    This response is an insult to me and the young people of North Carolina. This is not leadership.
    I'm asking that you give Governor McCrory a call and tell him our young people in North Carolina deserve better. 1-800-662-7952 (toll free in North Carolina) or 919-814-2050.
    And please click this link when you call so I'll know how many calls the Governor got about this.
    Thank you for continuing to support me. Your support means a lot right now. Because of you all, I'm going to keep moving forward, not one step back.


Update [three hours later]: I've been hearing from people that the Governor's office isn't answering their main phone line. You can call 1-800-662-7952 (toll free in North Carolina) or 919-814-2050, then press 3 to try to reach someone.
    Be sure to leave a message if nobody answers, and record your call here.


Senator Eleanor Kinnaird
Yes, I know that "Ellie Kinnaird resigns from NC Senate" and won't run again [for what would be her tenth term in the North Carolina Senate]. You probably didn't know that her political career began in our living room....
    Back in the 80's, we heard news that someone wanted to develop the land around Chapel Hill's University Lake. It would ruin the lake's watershed, so my wife and some of her friends got together in our living room to discuss what to do.
    The mayor of Carrboro was in favor of the development. Someone in the group said that the only thing to do was for one of them to run for mayor. They all looked around at each other, and finally Ellie said, "Okay, I'll run, but only if I can count on all of you for support."
    Everyone did indeed support her, including me. We put up "Ellie Kinnaird for Mayor" signs all over Carrboro...And she won.
    There was no development at University Lake. The developer granted that you do lose some. But when he did put up a development elsewhere, he called it "Winsome."
    And he recently developed "Winmore."
    Indeed, you lose some and you win some, but only if you keep fighting.


Army Pfc. Bradley Manning
"Manning wants to serve time as a woman, get therapy." He says he wants to live like a woman? I think for the next 35 years he will.

Starch to go with Friday's Fish: Fool proof TEST ("Survival of the Firmest: Erectile Dysfunction and Death"} for Heart Disease. Sorry ladies—for men only.


When I travel I often have no internet access because I insist on using a "dumb" phone—no GPS tracking—so I mostly resort to texting for communication. I mean, who actually talks on a phone?
    Yesterday evening I heard a Washington, DC radio report that a production company was considering making a movie about the travails of NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden. Not being where I could fire it off to some blog and make a buck, I did the next best thing—I texted it to a contact who is a retired U.S. Army colonel and defense contractor, and who I knew would be infuriated by the thought. If you aren't going to make money from your time, at least have some fun, right?
    My text: "Did you hear they may make a movie about Snowden?"
    His reply, which was immediate btw: "Spoken is dog shit who hopefully gets AIDS from a Russian hooker"
    His immediate follow-up: "Snoden"
    My reply: "Isn't he sort of a modern day Paul Revere/Thomas Jefferson type? Patriot taking on the man?"
    His reply, again immediate: "Duck him"
    His follow-up: "Ducking phone sensors my ducking messages"
    His next message: "Fucking added to phone dictionary"
    I let it go at that. I was laughing so hard the TSA goons were eyeing me suspiciously.
    Only semi-unrelated: If they make the movie, let's hope Snowden's girlfriend gets to play herself, in all her quirky, barely clothed glory. Apparently her entire wardrobe consists of provocative lingerie, a man's dress shirt, and two cupcakes—even Tom Cruise has starred in movies with less intrigue than that.


My revue of the movie The Butler: Very interesting and a good movie, but not a fun movie! Almost all of it was sad and serious! Glad I saw it but not the kind of movie I would want to see again!

Last night we watched ALL of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (160+ minutes), but it is WAY OVERLONG with excessive battle scenes. We do NOT plan to watch the sequels. But the New Zealand countryside is WONDERFUL.

Limerick of the Week:
Marie Antoinette said, "Let them eat cake,"
and today Art Pope's McCrory does make
    the very same,
    laughably lame,
monarchically maladroit...mistake.
_______________
Copyright © 2013 by Morris Dean

Please comment

7 comments:

  1. I have just located Madison Kimrey's blog, "Functional Human Being," and I invite readers of Moristotle & Co. to check it out, say "hi," encourage Madison in her "spunky" activism (as today's lead fish puts it).
        Also, when it comes to encouraging Madison, the following comment comes from Paul Clark (aka motomynd), who is on the road and couldn't post it himself:

    So has anyone launched PACs for "Madison Kimrey for Governor" and "Madison Kimrey for President"? So far the Moral Monday protests have accomplished little, but let's keep her encouraged so she will accomplish much.

    I've passed that message on to Madison by way of a comment on her blog post today, "Notice Me Horton."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, the lead fish said, "plucky," didn't it—Not "spunky." They're sort of synonyms, I guess.

      Delete
  2. Here's the comment I just left on the blog "Functional Human Being":

    Dear Madison, I signed your petition and have been following you on my blog, "Moristotle & Co." Today's "Fish for Friday" column leads off with items about your run-in with Governor McCrory, and one of my contributors (Paul Clark, aka motomynd) made a comment that I've come here to share with you:

    "So has anyone launched PACs for Madison Kimrey for Governor and Madison Kimrey for President? So far the Moral Monday protests have accomplished little, but let's keep her encouraged so she will accomplish much."

    Today's Limerick of the Week (at the end of the fish column) was inspired by the cake incident that arose out of your observing the Governor's staff handing cookies through the gate a few weeks ago:

    "Marie Antoinette said, 'Let them eat cake,'
    and today Art Pope's McCrory does make
        the very same,
        laughably lame,
    monarchically maladroit...mistake."

    Thank you for helping ensure that that mistake will be one that the Governor rues terribly. You have been an inspiration yourself, Madison; you encourage us. Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a mix bag of fish. Didn't get my computer back up until this afternoon. No coffee but went well with a cold beer also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely not quite as "mix bag" as it can be (and often is), but a nice mix for sure!
          I especially appreciated the back story on how Ellie Kinnaird's political career got started. The district she has represented in the North Carolina Senate is the one that includes Hillsborough, where Jenn Weaver is running for the Town Board. Depending on the election to replace Kinnaird, that district may, or may not, be so well represented as it has been (in terms of a progressive, common-good-oriented senator). Jenn Weaver, that is, may need to accelerate her schedule to move up the political ladder....
          I'm also glad, of course, to learn that "Fish for Friday" goes well with beer. Please experiment with wine also, if you would—and with hard liquor (perhaps Scotch or rye of bourbon), too! I await your report.

      Delete
  4. You are very kind - Ellie will be sorely missed. As for me, definitely taking it one step at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn, best wishes to you for a successful campaign! This blog isn't specific to Hillsborough, obviously, and I'm not sure how much your exposure here will add to your vote tally in the election, but if you have any specific plans for what you would like to accomplish by being on the Hillsborough Town Board, I would love to hear them.

    For example, will you have more of an interest in attracting travelers and their business into town from I-85 and I-40 than has been shown by current Hillsborough leadership? If so, do you have any particular ideas as to how you might go about that?

    Along with 20 other people, I am part of a small-business co-op in Daniel Boone Village, which is less than a 1/4 mile from I-85. We have been amazed at the lack of effort by downtown business and political leadership to let interstate travelers know that Daniel Boone Village is right there by the interstate, or that Hillsborough is just a mile or so north.

    ReplyDelete