Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, February 4, 2018

Correspondence: From the King James Bible, to Shakespeare, to composing behind the wheel

Edited by Moristotle

[Items of correspondence are not attributed; they remain anonymous. They have been chosen for their inherent interest as journalism, story, or provocative opinion, which may or may not be shared by the editor or other members of the staff of Moristotle & Co.]

What man can say he’s that different from Donald Trump in some regards? Matthew 5:28:
But I say unto you, that whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
In Shakespeare’s Othello, Act 3, Scene 3, in a conversation with Othello designed to spark jealousy in him, Iago says:
Poor and content is rich, and rich enough,
But riches fineless [unlimited] is as poor as winter
To him that ever fears he shall be poor....
    The person who’s poor and contented is rich enough. But infinite riches are nothing to someone who’s always afraid he’ll be poor. God, help us not be jealous!
I think the African American elite have climbed in bed with the white establishment and left their less fortunate “brothers and sisters” to fend for themselves, along with the poor of other races.
    After eight years of a black mayor and a black president, the elementary schools in Philadelphia have no librarians. The libraries are kept open by old white ladies from the suburbs, like my wife.
    Meanwhile Obama hobnobs with a bearded David Letterman having become a wealthy man of leisure.


Having fixed the King James Bible, the authorities are negotiating a contract with the editors of Highlights for Children to repair the archaic and clumsy language in Shakespeare’s plays.

Repairing Shakespeare’s factually incorrect soap opera drivel seems a grand plan. How do I help?
    Can we start with a fact-check rewrite of Macbeth, who was actually a successful king? Shakespeare, sort of the Fox News/Breitbart of his day, apparently cast Macbeth in a negative light to curry favor with those in power in his own time.
    Have you ever pondered the “great communicator” Ronald Reagan as a Shakespearean figure of sorts, as he betrayed fellow actors & collaborated with McCarthy to avoid being blacklisted himself? The tragedy, of course, was that he became president, much like Malcolm was made king.
    When I think of Shakespeare I shudder & think that 500 years from now students will probably be forced to study Days of Our Lives & All in the Family.


Gotta share this cryptoquote solution with you:
I was asked to redo my autobiography to turn it into a Broadway musical. I got so excited, I couldn’t compose myself.
I have been practicing a mnemonic system you use [it’s described in detail in the Wikipedia article “Mnemonic major system”] by converting license plate numbers into words or phrases as I’m driving. It’s fun! Just yesterday, I saw “9387”...”b*m f*ck”!

I haven’t composed a limerick ’na while
Now’s a good time in my auto so smile
    Just don’t twiddle my fingers
    To my wife they’d be ringers
I’m driving the highway when juvenile.


Grateful for correspondence, Moristotle

No comments:

Post a Comment