Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Eleven Years Ago Today: Ghost Dog

By Moristotle

[Originally published on August 16, 2007, without a photo of Wally.]

My wife just came back in the house after a walk with Wally to report that as she started to go around the cul-de-sac she looked back to see where he was, but he was nowhere to be seen. He wasn’t on the leash. When she came back to the house to investigate, there he was sitting next to the front door where she surmises she had snapped the leash around air, not around the clip on his halter. Please, please, let my wife not be losing it. I need her!
_______________
[2018 comment: My wife still hasn’t lost it, but I’m not sure I haven’t.]


Copyright © 2018 by Moristotle

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised Wally didn't play along and walk beside her. We have had a couple families move in with kids and our dog Del loves children. She found she could pull her head out of her collar and run over to play with the kids. I bought one of those leashes that run out from the handle and sat outside with her for about a month. Now I snap it on her and she drags the handle around but does not go out of range of where the line stopped her when I held it. Funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that Wally didn't feel like going for a walk, with or without the leash. He was in his final year of life, having fared badly from the copperhead bite that I believe I mentioned in my "Snake" post. Not that he didn't need some exercise, as I do, too, even though it might be a lot more fun sitting at my computer keying this in than out on pavement or road in the sun.

      Delete