Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, August 25, 2018

The Loneliest Liberal: Past wisdom

By James Knudsen

Conventional wisdom holds that those who forget the past are destined (or is it doomed?) to repeat it,  or at the very least elect a reality television star/white dwarf President. And while I don’t advocate for living in the past, as it is impossible to make anything great again, I do recognize the value of keeping select pieces of history. Museums, libraries, parks – these places, along with any home owned by myself or my siblings – are well stocked with pieces of history. How selective we have been in the keeping is open to debate. For the most part we just aren’t very good at throwing anything away. And when you add in the fact that since the beginning of this century, Dad and his two siblings have passed on and left a trove of over 200 combined years of accumulation…well, there’s a lot of history to consider.
    Proof of the difficulty my family has with throwing things away was on display in my March column, where a letter from the 1950’s addressed to my Aunt Margaret found its way into the digisphere via Moristotle. That letter is 67 years old. A series of letters that were exchanged between my father’s parents clocks in at 100 years. There’s mention of the flu epidemic in one of those letters. I mention these vintages because the letter I found recently pales by comparison at only 35 years. And yet the knowledge it had to impart.

Thirty-five years ago I was living in Tennessee – Millington, Tennessee, to be exact. Millington at that time was home to Naval Air Station, Memphis, now Naval Support Activity Mid-South (good lord, who writes you “U.S. Navy”?). I arrived in mid-April and would spend the next six months learning the ins and outs of avionics. Back in California things were much less humid and much more shaky. At 4:42 p.m. on May 2, 1983, a 6.2-magnitude earthquake struck near the California town of Coalinga. This event figures prominently in the letter I recently found.
    It was written by none other than Morris Knudsen. It is two pages on a single sheet of stationery bearing the name and address of his father, Vern O. Knudsen, PhD. The text is Dad’s familiar, unadorned longhand, a mix of print and cursive, written in blue ink with a Sheaffer fountain pen. Much of the letter is Dad in a contrite mood for not having sent a letter sooner.


It was only when I got to Page Two that I encountered something I had long forgotten, and, it turns out, had not taken the time to investigate when I first read the sentence and the word contained therein.


The sentence reads:
Our chthonic dramatics are few and far between, (Yes, you’ll need an unabridged!) and aftershocks do persist.
    Most if not all readers instantly assume that unabridged refers to a type of dictionary. At the time, early May, 1983, putting my hand to an unabridged was not an easy task. Marines are issued a number of useful things, but an unabridged dictionary is not one of them. I suspect it has something to do with the physical dimensions. A quick inspection of The Webster’s New International Dictionary, Second Edition, unabridged, copyright 1939, from the estate of my late uncle, Dr. Robert T.A. Knudsen (I told you we can’t throw anything away), reveals the following: length 12 and 1/8 inches, width 9 inches, depth 6 inches, and weight…wait for it: 16 pounds. Sixteen. By comparison, the standard issue infantry radio of that era, the AN/PRC-77, FM transceiver, unaffectionately known as the “Prick 77,” weighs only 13.75 pounds.


    Still to be explained is the word “chthonic.” The rumblings in Coalinga are a clue, but I still had to consult the 16-lb. vessel of knowledge for an answer:
Chthonic or chthonian, designating, or pertaining to, gods or spirits of the underworld; esp., relating to the underworld gods of the Greeks.
The irony is that this most recent discovery does nothing to make disposing of the past easier.

Copyright © 2018 by James Knudsen

10 comments:

  1. I have read about the PRC-model radios and their unfortunate nicknames (a good laugh!); fortunately for me my experience with all things combat-related have been through reading and movies, which will serve me just fine, thank you! My understanding of the word "cthonic" is an animal or object which exists in both the corporeal world and the spirit world at the same time. The Romans considered dogs cthonic; therefor a dog entering the area of any ceremony or sacrifice was a terrible omen. It does, however, give me hope for my boyhood wish that dogs could go to heaven! As always I enjoy your columns, and this one shows the extent to which our language has become impoverished of vocabulary in just the last few generations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger, I can assure you most reliably that dogs do go to heaven.

      Delete
    2. ...but few people qualify to accompany them.

      Delete
    3. Per your later column about The Pigeon Tunnel, I chose to be assured. Do we not all chose those myths and archetypes which suit us best?

      Delete
    4. Roger, indeed we do, and I am comfortable with the image of your being in the company of canine companions. I hope that you will be able to have the pleasure of physical touch and smell. I do love to touch Siegfried and inhale the fragrance of his body. I do not enjoy his loud, expectant barking that sometimes precludes the serving of lunch or dinner, however.

      Delete
  2. During the spring of 1982, as your father’s “teacher’s assistant” (not that assisting in any teaching was involved), I disposed of papers from the late 1960s that filled an armoire-style cabinet in his classroom. Luckily for your family those papers were just the clutter of his students from that tumultuous Vietnam era. Your dad (family?) had (has?) a bit of a hording problem. I took charge of the decluttering, Mr. Knudsen was agreeable and grateful, and my final grade for the semester was an ‘A’. I found out later that his other TAs never received grades higher than ‘B’. I suppose I did something that needed to be done that he couldn’t bring himself to do. Now if any of those papers had been the early works of a future great artist, celebrity, or U.S. president then I’d surely wish for a time machine to go back and avert the calamity. But this is Tulare we’re referring to, and the “best” [worst] in the past half century to stumble out of that dusty little town has been Trump/Putin apologist, Devin Nunes, so no harm done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe, I believe the underachieving Mr. Nunes came from Pixley. But what a fine episode of “assistant teaching” you report! And you write beautifully. I hope Mr. Knudsen’s spirit reads your comment; if it does, I suspect it will be thinking that that A should have had a + attached to it.

      Delete
    2. Morris; Sadly TUHS has to claim Trump Jr., a.k.a. Devin Nunes, but I'm happy to learn the City of Tulare doesn't. My condolences to Tixly. Or it it Pipton? I get those potholes in The 99 mixed up. Thanks for your kind words. Memories of Mr. Knudsen brought a tear to my eye.

      Delete
    3. So Nocajones was actually enrolled in T.U.H.S., eh? Sad. The thought provokes faint chthonic rumblings.

      Delete
    4. I have his 1991 TUHS senior photo saved for keeping vermin out of my garage. I placed a copy in each corner and I've not had one rat enter since. Luckily they're afraid of it. I chanced that they might have begun worshiping it. I don't see an upload for photos here so I'll attached to your Facebook. It might frighten Russian trolls away, or they might worship it. Who knows at this point? And while we're at it, may the deities/demons/spirits responsible for those chthonic rumblings smite him and his ilk.

      Delete