Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, October 6, 2018

In Your Dreams: The confirmation vote

Subject to change

By Moristotle

Last night I had trouble sleeping. It seemed hours before I finally slept.
    A fog enveloped the Senate chamber, and I could barely breathe. I seemed to be there as a member of the security detail. I wore an earpiece on my left ear and a voice would tell me to move toward the front or go over to the next aisle. “Go to Senator Flake,” I was directed. Republican Senator Flake of Arizona was about to vote, but he was saying he wanted to say something first. “Senator McConnell’s coming your way,” I was alerted. I moved back a little to make way. McConnell looked worried. Flake was speaking: “With apologies to the Majority Leader, it is my obligation as a member of this chamber to own up. I have since Friday a week ago had no intention of voting to confirm the President’s nominee to fill Justice Kennedy’s seat on the Supreme Court. I vote No to fulfill another, higher obligation: to honor my oath to uphold the Constitution and respect our Nation’s hallowed institutions.” Senator McConnell had now rushed Senator Flake and grabbed the microphone. “Go in and pull Senator McConnell away from Senator Flake.” I hesitated a moment before stepping forward. By the time I reached them, Senator Flake had regained control of the microphone, and he was saying: “So, for our dear, departed Senator John McCain, I cast this No with two words for President Trump: Up yours!” The Democratic applause was thunderous, and the fog suddenly vanished. Republican Senator Collins of Maine rose to demand the floor. Reluctantly Senate President Pence ceded her 60 seconds. Senator Collins said, “I change my Yes to No and move that this body make it unanimous.”

Copyright © 2018 by Moristotle

3 comments:

  1. The New York Times has published a shortened version(*) of today's dream account as a comment on the article "Collins and Manchin Will Vote for Kavanaugh, Ensuring His Confirmation," by Sheryl Gay Stolberg and Nicholas Fandos, in today's issue.
    _______________
    * Shortened to stay within the NY Times's allowed word count.

    ReplyDelete