Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Monday, October 29, 2018

Thunder Down Under:
Survival – separate yet together

By Vic Midyett

“In all my put together born days” is an old Southern (U.S.) saying that I suspect is not used much, if any, anymore. It means, “in my whole life.”
    I was just admiring our wee flower garden and noticed something I have never ever seen before. Usually one plant will push another to the side and out of the way to achieve its survival. But observe in the photo above that a narrow-looking “leaf” has pierced right through (or meshed with) its opposition. And it appears that the survival of BOTH plants has been protected! (I think there’s a good lesson here.)
    The orange flower in the top photo belongs to the roundish-leafed plant. The predominantly white flower in the next photo belongs to the piercing plant.




Copyright © 2018 by Vic Midyett

6 comments:

  1. Vic, I see your garden speaks to you... perhaps it should to the rest of use... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iKXFAGRc1w

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is okay. I figured that out after a couple of minutes. ha! Seriously though, everything speaks to us. It's only a matter of how or what mode we listen with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Upon further contemplation of what I said above, I feel the need to add this. - While I am grateful and proud of my Cherokee DNA that 'opens' me to notice things in nature, I feel I may have come across as aloof to some. The truth of it is, I simply knew, at some level, there was an interesting or philosophical lesson in my observation. I however, did not come up with my suggested "lesson" until I started putting words to the pictures. I always seem to have a need to link some kind of message to most everything I write about. Am I 'reaching'? Perhaps. That decision belongs to others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love that the Survival Instincts of both kicked in. We could all take a lesson from them. No matter what happens, we can choose to survive (or Not)

    ReplyDelete