Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, November 30, 2018

Joy in the art of acrylic pouring

By Linda K. Stout

While I know a few women of retirement age like me who become quite stellar artists late in life, most of us just become joyful. Joyful I am with my acrylic pouring. Joyful are the thousands of gray-haired ladies everywhere, who take art lessons and happily build their skills and display their work at local shows for amateurs. Over time, I began to see joy in these pieces of art. I have come to realize that everyone who creates is an artist. While there is an approximate agreement of what quality is, that need not block the joy that resides in each piece.

“Copper Patina Pour” (10" x 10") Copper colors
combined with the patina colors of oxidization.
I will pour using greens next time.
Acrylic pouring is a good example of the art that can be disrespected and loved. It appears as easy as a slam dunk – like a lot of other styles of abstract painting. “My six-year-old could do that!” And, yet, one can see real artistic levels, just like with other media. Skills and control can be built, artistic sense developed. For me, above all, it makes me joyful.
    I have made poured acrylic paintings for about a year and my work is improving in my estimation. My joy at mixing beautiful colors and creating something interesting has continued to burgeon throughout this period. I am very satisfied when I can come up with new color combinations and create new effects with the paint. Frankly, given the amazing art talents in the world, it can easily be viewed as an odd thing to do. But, if I step into my right brain, I see that I’m a woman of years ecstatic about color, creating joy for myself and accepting my own humanity.

“Colors of Jewel” (10" x 10") – a path for your eye to follow

    I was asked to do the large canvas below for the office of a newly-minted family therapist in California that I got acquainted with on Facebook. Because it is large, taking a photo was a challenge. It is much prettier than the photo. I wanted to create something interesting and uplifting.

“California Uplift” (24" x 30")

Copyright © 2018 by Linda K. Stout

3 comments:

  1. Very nice, Linda. I am hoping to perhaps jump back into my creative world in 2019.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something decisively aquatic about these particular works, Linda, they speak to me of the ocean, fish, sea turtles, and aquatic plants. All subjects dear to my heart. I wish you all that joy you speak of so eloquently, and more.

    ReplyDelete