Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Monday, December 3, 2018

On Franklin Hill Farm: A Great Blue Heron

And other birds I’ve been blessed to see and sometimes photograph

By Bettina Sperry

For the past several years, I’ve had many opportunities to observe our local population of woodpeckers, bluebirds, kingfishers, various owls, and even eagles that nest several miles down the road from Franklin Hill Farm, by our neighborhood lake. I’ve even had the blessing of finding the most beautiful bird’s nest constructed out of duck feathers.

    Mostly, I’ve been able to get a few chance photos, nothing really breathtaking, but I do appreciate what little I can get of those experiences. Getting anything at all keeps me observant.

Red-Headed Woodpecker (Melanerpes erythrocephalus)

Hairy Woodpecker (Leuconotopicus villosus)

Bluebird (Sialia)

Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)

Northern Saw-Whet Owl (Aegolius acadicus)

Scarlet Tanager (Piranga olivacea)
– too poor a photo to show larger

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)

A rarer event has been the observation of a Great Blue Heron passing overhead. When I’m outside on the farm, I routinely look to the sky for its presence, though knowing the chance is minimal. I’ve only ever seen it fly above the farm in the summer and typically only once a year. Earlier this summer I had a chance encounter that led me to several herons towards the back of the farm, flying among my trees. Perhaps a mating pair. Forward another month or so, I was able to get a few photos, but of the worst quality, reminding me of the brevity of time I’ve shared with this Being.
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

One morning a few weeks ago, on an even yet rarer note, longing to experience the Great Blue again, I called for it quietly in my thoughts. Just as abruptly, I went on about my business, got on my tractor and forgot about it, grounded for the moment, so to speak, my eyes to the soil.
    The Great Blue dropped several yards in front of me. Having no camera, I asked the blessing that I’d have time to run in and get one. When I came back outside, I knew the chances were high that The Being had already flown away. But it was still there! For a better view of it, I had to walk around farm fencing and around a building and out to the water – where I found it still standing. I took a few steps. It remained. I took a few more steps. Again, no movement. I raised the camera and took a few photos. Assuming the glorious creature would shortly reach up and fly away, I took another photo and recorded a video, which I set to “public” on my Facebook page to share with anyone who visits:
https://www.facebook.com/franklin.hillfarm/videos/1739152349527956/


I will remain ever grateful for the time I was able to spend with this Great Blue out in the stillness of the farm, beside the running water, immersed in the peace of the moment.

Copyright © 2018 by Bettina Sperry

3 comments:

  1. Oh my. Oh my, Bettina. Bless you for sharing this experience with us for this is real life. Real life encompasses all life. And I think you did a great job on your photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely lovely. We have the great blue in Florida all year, but many of your pictured songbirds are rare or do not come at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. The farm has been good to me in so many different ways - this is one of them. Getting a new camera soon with a good zoom lens so better photos on the way.

    ReplyDelete