Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, October 18, 2019

Goines On: Old classmates

Click image for more vignettes
Goines received an email about another high school classmate who had passed on. In responding, he confused the deceased, whose name was Cliff, with another classmate whose face he was remembering. He realized this before he sent the email and even came up with the approximate name of the other one, Richard something. Another classmate on the email list told him who the Richard was – someone whose father had worked for her father.
    Goines wrote to her privately to tell her that he remembered Richard with affection, although he couldn’t remember ever visiting in his home or meeting his family. But he was able to write her, “I remember you better, your red hair, your seriousness, your resoluteness.” Her reply surprised Goines.
    She wrote back, “Thanks for your reply. You were nice to say I was serious, but seriously, if you knew me better, actually I was not serious about anything...except intent on having fun. I was a mischievous, introverted, crazy redhead during those school years. I’m sorry I didn’t know you better. You were friendly, but because you were also very bright, you were kind of scary to me. And because I was a quiet person, you probably mistook me as being more serious than I actually was. Though quiet, my brain was probably thinking up mischievous stuff to do to have fun later.”


Copyright © 2019 by Moristotle

2 comments:

  1. How similar to my experiences is Goins sometimes! We hear of old friends lost, and how we really didn't know some people we thought we did. Went to a HS reunion, (hate to say what year) and the revelations. A few people, most far more successful than I, said how smart they thought I was. One guy was a JAG lawyer, an Army major, did his 20, now he's a prosecutor in Saint Pete. I told him if I had half his motivation and ambition I might have done more. I thought HE was the smart one. One girl I was sweet on in junior high, that I thought was such a "good girl" she'd never look twice at me, told me about skipping school, sneaking cigarettes at the bowling alley's vending machine, and smoking pot. I was floored. I told her i was afraid to talk to her. She said I never gave her the time of day. I would have, if I'd known!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An image comes to mind of our high school years as a jigsaw puzzle with just enough pieces plugged in to sort of make the whole thing cling together, but with many more pieces lying aside in a jumbly pile....
          And a scary thing is that our lives are still a jigsaw puzzle with many pieces still in that jumbly pile....

      Delete