Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, June 4, 2020

Side Story: Performance art?

With apologies to the 1961 American
musical romantic drama directed by
Robert Wise & Jerome Robbins
Paul, in your May 22 post on “Coronavirus Math & Russian Roulette,” you introduced a photograph of yourself with the words, “And I’m being very careful, just in case,” which I took to mean you were really locked down. The caption did puzzle me though: “Interpretive Art Lockdown Series, Quarantine Day 137: I AM SHEEPDOG!....” ??? —Moristotle

Reply by Paul Clark (aka motomynd)

SHEEPDOG, updated;
2nd in a weekly series.
Carrying the flag for the
millions my age who can’t
You don’t understand performance art? Are you really from Cali??? The photo was of me aspiring to be one with the typical American...if I could stand being near, or at all like, typical Americans. Or...it may be of me in a locked closet playing hide-and-seek with a certain overly high-energy 6-year-old. The locked door makes it infinitely harder for him to find me. <Ha>

Copyright © 2020 by Moristotle, Paul Clark

7 comments:

  1. “Cali”? No, I’m from California. The only times I have seen the word “Cali” were when you and I think Ed Rogers have used it. And maybe Roger Owens once or twice. “Cali”?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting about Cali vs California nomenclature, don't know if the difference is generational or lifestyle. Most of my time in Cali has been spent with 20 and 30-something surfer/skateboarder types, or actor types, or outdoors mountain biker/trail runner types: I don't think I've ever heard any of them actually say California, it's always been just Cali.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please note I actually came in well BELOW the Side Story word count. Bound to be a first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is like San Francisco. People that live there don't like hearing it called cisco. Cali is more of a loving way that locals refer to their home, but not many outsiders use it, and as you Morris, were from over the Mountains, I'm not sure it isn't a coastal thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, did you mean “Frisco”? I haven’t heard that term in years, if not decades. I know California people who live along the coast, but I can’t recall ever hearing them utter “Cali.”

      Delete
  5. Yeah, 'Friscans hate hearing 'Frisco or 'Cisco but they think calling Los Angeles just "LA" is just fine. Stuffed shirt thing?

    ReplyDelete