Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Highways and Byways:
Days in the Sun

By Maik Strosahl

A couple of months ago, I read an article about an 8-year-exposure photograph that was published by the University of Hertfordshire Press Office.
    In 2012, a simple camera made from an aluminum beer can, duct tape, and light-sensitive photographic paper was attached, facing skyward, to the side of the University of Hertfordshire’s Bayfordbury Observatory. Fine arts student Regina Valkenborgh placed it there and then forgot about it. Eight years and one month later it was found, revealing an image tracing eight years’ worth of solar paths across the sky.
    While working with Bob Boldt on a project, I was looking for an email he had sent me and found his response to a poem I had written and, like Ms. Valkenborgh apparently, forgotten about.
    Here’s to forgotten cameras and forgotten poems and the joy they bring when they are found.


The 8-year-exposure photo by Regina Valkenborgh
that inspired my poem

Days in the Sun

While you were out
charting the night,
I came to a decision,
packed my bags,
left a gift for you to find
and remember
our days in the sun.

I thought of you
when morning broke
across the valley
and your eyes,
weary from chasing stars
across the darkened skies,
would grow heavy and yield,
missing the great fire of day,
desperate to catch your attention.

You came to mind
every noon,
when I knew you had tossed the bed,
reaching blindly for covers
you had already kicked off
and I no longer there
to pull them back,
tucking a blanket into your grasp.

And with the setting sun,
I knew you would rise,
waking with a dark brew,
a spark growing inside
that this would be the night,
this would be your moment
when you would find
what you have
searched your whole life for,
oblivious to anything—
or anyone—
that would distract.

The days traced my path
as I kept passing through,
missing you,
until the memories became echoes,
the moments became shadows
I could not quite see clear.
It was soon a couple of days
between thoughts,
weeks, then months, then....

You called this morning,
a distant memory.
You found my rudimentary camera,
counted the days
and recalled when we were good.
I laughed,
then smiled to myself sadly
at how long it took
to say good-bye.


Copyright © 2021 by Maik Strosahl
Michael E. Strosahl has focused on poetry for over twenty years, during which time he served a term as President of the Poetry Society of Indiana. He relocated to Jefferson City, Missouri, in 2018 and currently co-hosts a writers group there.

6 comments:

  1. I've been married to Janie for over 30 years but this was not mine or her first marriage. Her first husband died last Tuesday week, and she cried when she heard of his death. She looked at me an apologized. I told her there was no need to do that, I understood. Your poem has made me wonder if I do understand. Do we ever really say goodbye to our past?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a prompt for yet another piece. I think for better or worse, those who have touched our lives are forever entwined with our tomorrows. Just as your wife’s past came back with a flood of emotion, there are constant reminders of those people in our day.
    Sorry for her pain. Glad she has you for emotional support!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice poem! I wonder whether Ms. Valkenborgh, should she happen to see the post and read your imagining of what might have transpired, will chuckle, nod in amazement at your voyance, shudder with a sense of loss, or....
        The article is fascinating! Readers of your poem who check it out will have to agree. I see, too, that the article supplies a pointer for possibly contacting Ms. Valkenborgh: “Regina is now a photography technician at Barnet and Southgate College.” One has to wonder whether you might possibly hear back from her….

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! This is a great mood piece with just the exact perfect ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heard back from the artist and she had some excellent comments. One correction—the article I read used the wrong name for the photo. ‘Days in the Sun’ is another photo of only 6 months exposure. This photo IS the 8-year exposure, but it is titled ‘Perpetuity’

    ReplyDelete
  6. This image, the very concept of this piece of aluminum trash (recyclable of course) being this incredible, not to mention durable, camera. It boggles the mind, and I'd wager most Moristotelians' minds don't boggle easily! Then to draw this exquisite piece from it is a double pleasure for the reader.

    ReplyDelete