Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Highways and Byways: Going 5g

By Maik Strosahl

A few weeks ago, the Sprint tower two properties from our house was upgraded to a T-Mobile 5g tower. That news would have been great when we first moved here and had our service with them. We had to change providers due to all the dropped calls in our own home, let alone the myriad times I had no coverage on the road. But it’s upgrade also got me thinking about what is next for me.
    As I look back on my writing, I can see a progression of four phases. Lately, in large part because the Covid shutdowns have so limited face-to-face interactions, I have been feeling like I need to explore some new creative venues to push my writing further. It’s time for an upgrade, and I am going 5g.

    Starting last week, I invited many of my poet friends to join me in a Facebook group that intends to not just be a cheerleader for every poem we write. I have asked all participants to share their works in progress in this private group (most publishers do not consider an item published if it is a private group), then each participant can also offer honest feedback about what works and what just isn’t right. It is hoped that iron will sharpen iron and each of us can benefit from a critical eye. When ready, our work will hopefully be stronger, ready to share with the world.
    It’s only been a few days, but I have high hopes that this will be a revolutionary evolution for myself and any others who are looking to take a chance, take a ride and find the growth they are looking for.
    If you have a Facebook account and would be interested in participating in this group, send me a private message through Facebook Messenger. We would be happy to have another poet’s voice heard in our group.
    Note that I’m not a fan of Facebook, but it’s the only way to reach the majority of my family and friends. And it can be the way I’m hoping to reach out to other poets for constructive interaction.
    Here is the poem I wrote that inspired me to set up the Facebook group. Let’s see where this takes us!


Going 5g

Tonight,
while I should be asleep,
I can feel the virus pulsing,
I can feel my fever soar,
the heart racing in anticipation.

It is hard to stay focused,
my mind playing with
creatures still fluid,
gaining features,
jettisoning bodies
no longer needed.

I remember a time
where each night
the temperature rose,
each slumber was tossed
with strange dreams
and I would wake with sweat,
sheets soaked with
what melted away.
It changed me.

There is excitement
as it charges from four chambers,
throttles through arteries
to every hair stood tall,
then back even faster,
carrying the response of every cell:
“Send more!”

I find I am now
clenching my fists,
blood throbbing in their grip.
Is this another evolution?

Somehow,
there is no fear,
only wonder
at the process as it
takes over every thought.
Is this what death is?

A noise startles me,
then a crack,
just as sure a tear.
Am I coming apart,
or is this just a new beginning,
the chrysalis opening
to new life,
new exploration?

I rise with eyes wide,
stepping into the unknown
with new wings,
ready to explore
the possibilities.


Copyright © 2021 by Maik Strosahl
Michael E. Strosahl has focused on poetry for over twenty years, during which time he served a term as President of the Poetry Society of Indiana. He relocated to Jefferson City, Missouri, in 2018 and currently co-hosts a writers group there.

No comments:

Post a Comment