Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, November 16, 2022

The PocketRock Heart Project:
Update—A Pebble for a Rock

By Maik Strosahl

While handing out rocks as part of my PocketRock Heart Project (shared here on Moristotle & Co. in eight parts from December 2021 – February 2022), there have been several very moving moments. Thought I would take a moment to share one of those with you this week.
    As I mentioned before, any time I get a chance to go through the Quad Cities, I try to meet with someone from my family. I had such an opportunity in early April. My sisters Reni, Mari, and my niece Katie all accepted my invite to what has become our regular hangout for Mexican food in Moline, Los Agaves Grill. I remembered Reni’s significant other Rick recently had his 69th birthday, so I told her to bring him along and we could treat him to a nice dinner.
    I really cannot say I took enough time to know Rick through the years, although over the last year I think we discovered a mutual respect and had some very good conversations.
    When I started handing out pocket rocks for this project, I only handed them out to people who I felt had a big impact on my life. Most of my brother and sister in-laws did not receive one, not as a slight to any of them, but most of them I only came to know through my siblings.
    The same went for Rick, but as I was handing out hearts, I started noticing how many of my special people had been impacted by his actions.
    Rick Rogers gained a reputation for being a good friend. In the Quad City auto racing community, he was known to help out many a driver with engine work or help in the pits to get back in a race. Many times he would quickly leave the track to get a couple of parts needed—at his expense—then come back and get them rolling again. He was inducted into the Racing Hall of Fame at the East Moline Speedway.
    In my family, Rick was quick to help young drivers get their first car and offer help with major repairs, and he would also offer help beyond their transportation needs. As his birthday rolled around, I wanted to do something for him that showed my appreciation.
    I really didn’t think my heart project was the appropriate way to do this, nor did I think Rick was much into carrying a little heart around. I decided as a small token of thanks, I would give him a choice of one of those stone marbles that were pictured in the publishing of the PocketRock series.
    At dinner that night, I wished him a belated birthday and reminded him why I was handing out the hearts, explained why I didn’t hand one out to him, then proceeded to thank him for his impact on so many of my siblings, nieces, and nephews. I offered him his choice of the marbles, joking that it was for “keeping his marbles while those around him were losing theirs.”
    To my surprise, he appeared to get a bit emotional. This man who was a rock for those who stood around him seemed to be moved by a pebble.
    He turned to my sister and said, “You know which one I am going to chose, don’t you?”
    I was a bit out of the loop as he picked one and said it reminded him of the coloring of his favorite pet bunny rabbit that had passed. He thanked me for the gesture and planned to carry the marble in his pocket.
    In May, the month after that, while in Indiana visiting friends, I made a call to Reni. As I was telling her about my trip, she asked if I was coming back through Moline. As my visit was winding down there, I said I could come up right away if she needed a visit. She said yes, she needed me.
    We met again at Los Agaves Grill, but the air was heavy. Mari and I were there for support, but we didn’t know why.
    Well, Rick had been diagnosed with an aggressive brain tumor a few days before. It was estimated to be 6 centimeters in diameter and was pushing into his brain, causing issues with his speech and comprehension. The surgeons were going to open him up to remove it.
    The operation took place in mid-May. They considered it a success that they had removed 95% of the tumor’s mass, which has grown to 8 centimeters since discovered. But the news was not good. The cells were cancerous and his doctor felt that surgery had bought him only a couple of years if he was lucky.
    After struggling a little bit early in his recovery, Rick seemed to bounce back and was soon taking trips to see races with his son. But early in July, something was going wrong.
    Returning to the doctor, it was discovered the mass had grown back, now 11 centimeters and with a couple more smaller masses as backup. His body was not going to be able to handle another brain surgery so soon. After a few more days with just close family near, Rick lost his fight and passed on July 9th.
    I am so grateful that I got a glimpse of this man before the moment was lost. Rick Rogers will be remembered by many as a great man who really cared for those around him.
    He was truly a rock and will be missed.


Copyright © 2022 by Maik Strosahl
Michael E. Strosahl has focused on poetry for over twenty years, during which time he served a term as President of the Poetry Society of Indiana. He relocated to Jefferson City, Missouri, in 2018 and currently co-hosts a writers group there.

No comments:

Post a Comment