Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, November 6, 2022

All Over the Place:
Mumbo Jumbo Joe
Wants to Be a Teacher

By Michael H. Brownstein

The picture book below was written to encourage young children to enjoy reading. I decided to use five- to seven-year-olds from the nearby Robert Taylor Public Housing Projects to illustrate the different verses. Because Chicago had an annual strike just about every year, when I began teaching at Farren next to the Robert Taylor Public Housing Projects (at the time, the largest public housing in the world), I established a not-for-profit, The RAMP (Reading and Math Program), so my students would not miss any school. After the strike ended, I decided to keep the program going as an academic after-school program, started writing grants, hired some local teenagers to help out, and discovered I had an aptitude for grant writing. The Geraldine Dodge Foundation paid me a thousand dollars for the manuscript and then sent me the entire press run.
    Ken Satterfield, a librarian at the Missouri River Regional Library, has produced a recording of his expert reading of the book:





























Copyright © 2022 by Michael H. Brownstein
Michael H. Brownstein’s volumes of poetry, A Slipknot Into Somewhere Else and How Do We Create Love?, were published by Cholla Needles Press in 2018 & 2019, respectively.

3 comments:

  1. Michael, I wonder whether anyone has approached you about “commercializing” your book by rendering its art “professionally” and publishing it anew in some children’s series or whatever. I myself am not familiar with such things, butI think your columnist colleagues Geoffrey & Christa Dean are – perhaps they can advise us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love this.

    ReplyDelete