Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, December 10, 2022

A Poem from Nowhere

By Roger Owens

When I see you, we’ll be past this,
Our little dance with the Devil will be done.
But who will be the one
To say? “Now it is brought to pass.”
Now it is fulfilled, rendered harmless,
Like a serpent that has been killed,
Like an antidote to the poison
We have willed into this world.


Copyright © 2022 by Roger Owens

2 comments:

  1. I wrestled to discover the object of “willed” in the final line, finally thinking it must be the antidote, not the poison. That is, I read the 7th & 8th lines as though they were written this way:

    “Like to the poison’s antidote
    We have willed into this world.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your guess is as good as mine. This was in response to a poetry page I recently joined. I think he wanted something romantic for a returning lover, and he got a few of those. As I've said, when I start writing, even I often don't know what's going in that next line. I see the subject as "it", "our little dance with the Devil", killed like a snake, an antidote to the evil.

    ReplyDelete