Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Monday, July 4, 2011

Digiscoping

Cropped version of yesterday's photo
The photo yesterday of "Young Blue Bird testing happiness" got our juices flowing for improving our setup for digiscoping, which is digital photography aided with a fieldscope.
    Yesterday's photo was made without a wide-angle eyepiece or an adapter to hold the camera in place. My wife just held her Coolpix P100 against the fieldscope eyepiece, where her eye would otherwise be, and shot.
    The vignetting (fading to black at the periphery) is the tip-off. I could have cropped (as I did for today's version, above) but didn't. I assume that the photo below (borrowed from Alastair Rae) was cropped, because he says that the photo, his "all-time favourite bird shot..., was taken by just hand-holding a Coolpix 995 directly to the telescope eyepiece."

Nesting Black Woodpeckers

It's such a better photo than either my wife or I have been able to take so far. Here's one I took last December:

Sorry, I hope my wife will be able to identify the birds for us
(I cropped this photo to achieve the "Alastair Rae look")

But maybe we haven't worked hard enough at it yet? Rae says that he's "been playing about with the painful art of digiscoping birds for a few years now," and he has "tried a variety of cameras and adapters."
    Here are a few more digiscoped photos, borrowed from Digiscoped.com:

Green Woodpecker

Green Woodpecker

Kestral

Eurasian Blackbird (?)

Eurasian Blackbird

Here's a digiscoping setup, with an adapter to hold the camera to the eyepiece of the fieldscope:

Looks like a Nikon ED82

Isn't this fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment