Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, July 3, 2011

The parable of "I don't know"

Cancun Sunrise (July 6, 2011)
A friend of fifty-five years recently told me a little parable:
One day a prehistoric dad was asked by his son or daughter, "Why does the sun come up every day?"
    Did the dad frankly say, "I don't know"? I don't think so. Same as now, dads want to come off as knowing the answers.
    So, the prehistoric dad says: "God makes it come up."
    The parable explains, if not the meaning of God, at least the meaning of God-as-explanation. "God" is how some people avoid admitting that they don't know.

My friend, who was more fortunate than I in the religion department, added that:
God was never an issue in my life. I was not indoctrinated in any religious belief. Little of what I heard about God made any sense to me so I came to the conclusion early on that God is a figment of man's imagination. Without any encumbrance of indoctrination to overcome, and desiring to know things, I naturally gravitated toward science.
My daughter was similarly fortunate (or precocious). She has told me that she realized "as a kid" that God didn't exist.
    At least my own childhood exposure to religion didn't lead me to indoctrinate my children. My wife and I did, however, take them to church (an Episcopal mission in San Jose, California) and have them "confirmed." (And I even prevailed on a couple of friends to be named as their godfathers—one of them a recent convert to Judaism. Neither of them seems to have done either of our children any harm.)

So, let's enjoy the blossoming of my wife's Crinum Lily. I took about twenty-five photographs between 9:43 a.m. on June 30 and 7:30 this morning, when the sun, for whatever reason, was coming up:

June 30, 9:43 a.m.

July 1, 8:48 p.m.

July 2,  8:08 a.m.


July 2,  11:53 a.m.

July 2, 1:00 p.m.

July 2, 4:54 p.m. (1)

July 2, 4:54 p.m. (2)

July 2, 4:54 p.m. (3)

July 2, 7:02 p.m.

July 2,  7:03 p.m.

July 3,  7:31 a.m.

Again, from a bit to the right:

June 30, 9:43 a.m.

July 1, 8:41 p.m.


July 2, 8:08 a.m.

July 2, 8:09 a.m.

July 2, 9:28 a.m.

July 2, 11:53 a.m.

July 2, 1:00 p.m.

July 2, 4:55 p.m.

July 3, 7:30 a.m.

6 comments:

  1. Good work. I have always been facinated with time lapse, but don't suppose the cameras that are capable of doing that are inexpensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you meant "an episcopal mission". A "vicarage" is where the vicar lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn, thanks; I've corrected the text.

    Steve, good catch. Yes, I used "time lapse" for the early-morning and evening photos. But it was a simple matter: (1) Put camera on tripod. (2) Set aperture opening for pinhole (to deepen the field). (3) Let camera calculate how long to keep shutter open.
        The evening shots took about ten seconds, the morning only about a second and a half.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, I should add that it was very still. During the day in Mebane, it is usually too windy to take time-lapse photographs.
        Also, to avoid shaking the camera at the beginning of the period, I set the shutter on automatic time-delay.
        It was peaceful, waiting while the clock ticked and the aperture collected light through its tiny orifice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed this blog entry immensely. The transition to the photos was masterful - a wonderful surprise! And what a photo shoot! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Neophyte, you've made this photographer-blogger's day! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete