Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Memento mori, for a strained laugh

Methuselah Tree
A colleague at work who is even older than I am (he was born circa 1930) popped into my office on Monday and said,
Morris, a man told his doctor that he was having a problem with his health. The doctor said not to worry about it, it'll go away.
    As Dr. Nortin M. Hadler says in his latest book (Rethinking Aging, UNC Press), "Even Methuselah died." Laughter at jokes like these can choke a person

4 comments:

  1. Does Dr. Hadler mention in his book that Methuselah was a vegan? After all the Methuselah Tree is clearly plant based, therefore it stands to reason that Methuselah must have himself been plant based.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck, Adam and Eve were vegans too. Then they sinned, left the garden, and killed a chicken for sustenance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes but the chicken got even.

    According to the internet (and if you can't believe the internet who can you believe) "Each chicken wing contains 1 gram of artery clogging saturated fat not including the blue cheese"

    And who can eat Buffalo Chicken Wings without blue cheese? Not I!

    Double Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim, Have you considered asking Dr. Hadler directly yourself?
        Also, please cite the canon of reason to which your argument stands.

    I must share another response I got to this post:

    I am walking with a neighbor every day. I never knew walking with someone else was such an incentive.
        We don't talk much during the walk though. My neighbor walks about ten feet ahead of me.
        I only started this program two days ago. So far, I have followed her for ten miles...without even using my cane!
        I am feeling better each mile and my heart condition, my blood pressure, and my back seem to be improving too!
        Thanks for your concern....


    Then there's a moving GIF image of his neighbor's naked derriere....
        Alas, even with this blog's self-asserted "adult" rating, I'm reluctant to put the image up here. Please convince me that I should put it up nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete