Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, December 30, 2011

Peck on wood

I used a different strategy today (from my last outing—not reported here—when I moved my setup several times trying without success to get a photograph of the elusive woodpecker, who moved from one spot to another so quickly I couldn't react in time). This time I set up my digiscoping equipment and sat down in an unfolding chair to wait patiently until a woodpecker might show up.

First photo

Second photo, taken seconds later;
the last I saw him for today

    My setup consisted of a Nikon ED50 fieldscope, a Nikon camera attachment FSB-U1, and a Nikon Coolpix P300 camera. It was about ninety feet from the tree, and the woodpecker was about fifty feet up.

Thanks to my wife for some identification:
The woodpecker is a juvenile red-headed woodpecker, a threatened species. When I first saw the bird some months ago, I thought it was a juvenile red-head but I couldn't be sure until I saw these photos. A mature red-headed woodpecker doesn't have the black bars among the white feathers, and the head is even redder. Notice how this guy has some black showing in his red head. Check out the photos on this Red-Headed Wookpeckers page for comparison.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I felt so, too. Proud of the shots. But also aware that much better ones are in the offing, and that I'm becoming better able to produce them. That is, getting into a routine, getting the feel of the tripod and camera-mount adjustments. Lots of little moves are involved, and they need to come automatically, instinctively.
        Also, the addition of a chair (which Carolyn suggested) was important. I found myself more of an observer yesterday than usual. I noticed a number of much smaller birds also, and got some good shots of a finch. I think I'll post them today (thanks for the reminder <smile>).

    ReplyDelete