Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Monday, September 2, 2013

First Monday with Characters

Edited by Morris Dean

The Neumanns, at anchor
The Pineapple people have had a very busy month, what with the football preseason, a trip to Sonoma County to see Yo Yo Ma on his "Goat Rodeo" tour and a little bit of boating thrown in. We haven't taken the big boat out all month and hope to make up for that in September, starting with being anchored out for the four-day weekend ending today. This is our three-year anniversary of owning Pineapple Girl II, and what a great three years it has been. We are really looking forward to relaxing and sure feel like we need it after the hectic summer we've had.
    Hopefully now that the alternator belt has been replaced and the alternator has been rebuilt on the middle boat, Hinky Dink, we will have a few months of "smooth sailing" with THAT member of our fleet.
    Our littlest boat, our dinghy "Spirit," continues to be the star of our fleet and causes us no problems what so ever. I wish the other boats could take note and be a bit better behaved. Doesn't work with kids, SURE doesn't work with boats.
Musicians participating in a Rila Music Exchange
Geoffrey Dean, at a building site in Rila
Since returning to Bulgaria from the US at the beginning of August, I have spent most of my time reading (and trying to interpret) philosophy texts (mostly Heidegger, which may explain some potentially odd conceptualizations in what follows) and helping supervise the reconstruction of an old house in the town of Rila that may one day be the headquarters for the Ardenza Foundation’s annual ethno-music event, Rila Music Exchange.
    Rebuilding the lower side of the four-story hillside structure has something of the nature of a mission (saving a building that otherwise would have been torn down), and also of an improvisation (working from memories of how the house was and of how it could be in the future). Each day, new possibilities for utilizing the space become apparent, and this has been true from the first day we were “on site” in Rila, when we discovered that most of the lower side (or “front half”) of the house had already been dismantled, laying bare the heart of the house and its upper, or back, half. We were surprised at our own lack of distress in finding the house in a heap of debris that Monday morning (Aug. 12); it (our surprise) had been seemingly sublated in our fascination at the new way of “looking at” the house now presented to us Ardenzians. Seeing it in its open(ed)ness has fueled our desire to preserve that openness by leaving out certain things (such as certain doors, walls, and ceilings) as we returned the house to a semblance of its former self. With master builder Sasho in charge, and him and his assistant Stoyan hard at work seven days a week, that return is now in full swing.
Lausanne Collegiate School, Memphis
André Duvall, at an amazing number of things
I arrived safely in Memphis a couple of weeks ago, and have finally completely unpacked. I am back in the residence I lived in from 2007-2010, and have discovered a new restaurant three blocks away, which offers southern spiced vegetables cooked in a healthy manner, with no animal fats. It's delicious! I've joined the neighborhood association, and I look forward to participating in various local services in the community.
    I was busy last week recruiting and scheduling students. I'll be teaching piano independently part-time, and I was recently hired as a piano instructor for the music conservatory Lausanne Collegiate School, a great Memphis institution for pre-K through high school students. I'll teach there two days a week in addition to my own studio. I will also be organizing and leading an adult handbell choir, which I hope to eventually grow to perhaps form a children's chime choir.
    While I work on my dissertation over the next two semesters, I'll also be doing some freelance accompanying and performing, and I've found a potential chamber ensemble with some great musicians (quintet and trio: woodwind instruments plus piano) of which I may be a part. The group would involve three members in Memphis and two in Little Rock, so we would meet periodically as our schedules allow, and be able to schedule performances in the two cities.
    In Memphis, I look forward to having a little more time and greater opportunity to be involved in chess. This will be helped by the fact that Memphis has an active chess community, with frequent local tournaments, lots of casual play in different parts of town, and periodic larger tournament events. I'll be coaching chess in after-school chess programs two or three days a week (for one hour each afternoon) as a part of Mid-South Chess. I worked one day a week for this organization when I previously lived in Memphis. It has contracts with at least 12 private and public schools in the greater Memphis area to promote the study and enjoyment of chess among young people. For the weekend, I travelled with two friends to play in a very large regional tournament in St. Louis. I figured I would take the chance to play out of town before everything starts up in September.
Paul Clark, aka motomynd, at yet another venue
    Motomynd reports a mostly uneventful month of good running and riding. And he says his previously mentioned "mystery project" that has been pulling him away from this blog, and that also preempted his motorcycle ride to Alaska, has taken shape. "I will miss riding to Alaska and back," he says, "but I hope I will be very busy with this other full-time endeavor for at least the next 20 years. Hopefully much longer, actually." Here is a progress report in the form of a new website he just launched: "CAELEN."


James Knudsen, at two theatres
August has brought the return of students and faculty to Fresno City College. Three weeks in, things are looking good—the class rosters have thinned a bit and those that remain seem to be a good bunch. And I will be doubly busy through the third week of November, having been cast in two plays, Fresno City College's From Up Here, by Liz Flahive, and The College of the Sequoia's The Man Who Came to Dinner, by Moss Hart and George S. Kaufman. And no, I'm not the lead in either. Late night fast food for me until Thanksgiving.
Susan C. Price, from the front lines of "entitled-lucky-navel-gazing"
Still "learning" what/how to be retired. It's not a phase of life for which there are "the expecteds." As a kid, the expecteds i understood were: school, chores, obey, play. As i went on to college and grad school...that continued. (Had i created a family with children, there would have been plenty more "expecteds")
    Work had the expecteds: do as directed, maybe have new ideas, rise in the structure, 8-5 monday thru friday. The dailyness and the week/weekend were a schedule i was used to.
    Now, there are no expecteds, and fewer rules (well, maybe "stay healthy") and little structure. No one except the hubster would notice or care if i read all night and sleep all day.
    So, what sense or (YE GODS) purpose am i to make of this Final Act? i havent the foggiest. i'm not yet exactly bored...i do find I have an increasing awareness of how silly many of my pre-occupations in the other "acts" were....or are....or?
    ANY COMMENTS? I AM CURIOUS ABOUT HOW YOU DO IT/FIND IT
    ah well, off to the gym
The Rogers, at work and play in Costa Rica
Janie and I have spent the month of August enclosing our front porch with bricks and screens. The ticos (Costa Ricans) think we are crazy gringos, but they seem to enjoy the comfort of visiting without the bugs—some very large—bothering them.
    We also took two trips to Manuel Antonio, which is a beach and National Park area. The first trip was to scope out the hotels and beaches. After we found what we wanted in the way of a hotel room and located the beach that suited our taste, we drove the three hours back home. The following week-end we spent three wonderful days in the sand and sun.


[Don't miss Ed's Labor Day article, published a minute earlier than "First Monday with Characters" and appearing immediately below it.]

Vic Midyett, at cook-out
Last night, in Walkamin, Queensland, the owner of the park we're currently staying in organized a camp-oven dinner. The park has emptied some in the last couple of weeks, so there were only about 30 folks chatting, telling of their travels, and laughing at jokes. A good time and very yummy food were had by all.
    Nine people had cast-iron pots that are called camp ovens. All the cooking took place on or close to an open-fire pit. The camp ovens had a lid that fits into the pot and has a sunken rimmed top to hold hot coals for cooking from the top down.



    Shirley and I prepared two large bowls of rice and eight large garlic bread sticks. No one came up with any Damper—a "bush bread." There was apricot chicken, two curries—one beef, one sausage—two other sausage dishes, and a quiche. One person even cooked a big pot of dirty rice. Someone bought a large cheesecake, and we also had bananas, and ice cream with strawberry or chocolate topping with nuts!! A regular banana split!

    The owner of the park—she's wearing the red and white checkered hubbies shirt and shorts—is quite the character. She has a stock car that she races every opportunity she gets. She's a good driver too—usually beats her husband, Terry. She's very much a country girl, bubbly, and full of energy.
    Incidentally, sausage in Australia come in the shape of American link sausage—only larger. You can buy all sorts of it, from Mexican-flavor, to flavored with Indian spices, to plain in beef, lamb, pork, turkey, chicken, or combinations of those. Australia also still has local butcher shops. These guys come up with all kinds of recipes of their own. And their quality of meat is usually much better than grocery stores. The butcher will take orders and cut and/or spice up anything your heart desires.
Sharon Stoner, in with her animals when not eating out
In August I rescued a four-to-five-month-old kitten who was trying to eat a lizard she had killed. What a lovely cat she has turned out to be! No fleas, short hair, and so affectionate. Took her three days, to stop hissing at the dogs and start being friendly. So funny to watch a French Briard sheep dog play with this tiny kitten. The Briard is careful and seems to understand that the kitten is big enough to do serious damage. As for my Westie, she plays with the kitten like she is also a kitten.
    But all is not great, as my two-year-old Calico cat has not adjusted to moving into my new home and hates the kitten. Emma cat has started attacking me and absolutely hates my boyfriend, so now I have a cat on Prozac. Seems to be helping.
    My favorite pastime is eating out. Don't want any restaurants going out of business because of me!
Dawn Burke, occasionally at home alone!
Back to school busyness for this character. Buying clothes, supplies, etc. Then the first-day anxiety of getting everyone to their proper class, and in our case now two different schools: a granddaughter starting kindergarten, a grandson starting 1st grade, and a daughter starting her first year of middle school. So that's dealing with lots of things. It's more settled now, thankfully, and I'm enjoying being home alone for the first time in several years!
Morris Dean, in better sight
    I saw my neuro-ophthalmologist on Thursday, and only a fairly slight adjustment was needed to my distance spectacle prisms in order for my left and right images to be fairly manageable again by my beleaguered brain. This was demonstrated by having a prism patch applied to my right spectacle lens. It was soon clear to me that the remedy worked, so on Saturday I took a prescription for new distance glasses to the Costco optical shop. They should be ready in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, my old glasses with the temporary patch are serving quite well. (No adjustment was needed to my reading glasses, but I do need to do some "push-up" exercises to strengthen my eye muscles: 30 repetitions of slowly bringing the tip of a finger from far to very near—while focusing on the tip, of course.)
    My only disappointment with my new frames is that Costco wasn't able to put me into round (or "John Lennon") glasses. I have always wanted such a pair....But I was told that, even if round glasses were available through Costco's supplier, they would not serve me well, simply because the lenses could rotate and throw the prisms out of kilter!
    My doctor also explained something I hadn't understood before (or even been told so far as I could remember): the brain of an older person, or of a person who has suffered brain injury (such as I have, with my Parinaud's Syndrome), are not as adept at fusing divergent left and right images as healthy younger people. I have a narrower "range of accommodation," so I am lucky that prisms are able to bring the left and right images close enough together for my aged, damaged brain to accommodate and fuse them into a single image.
_______________
Copyright © 2013 by Morris Dean

Please comment

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Steve, please tell us more, as we seek to shape our presentations to maximize reader enjoyment. For example, what did you enjoy about today's character report?
          And please notice that an update for Paul Clark (aka motomynd) was just added, a bit late. Does that addition increase or—"Heaven forbid"—decrease your enjoyment?
          And what do you make of the recently added updates from me? I was concerned, when I started providing my own character updates, that I would appear to be injecting myself overmuch into the whole "character update" concept. I may have been feeling sorry for myself over the retinal detachment thing. Do you think that maybe I should step back again, now that I seem to have gotten through that successfully and can once again fuse my binocular world into a single 3-dimensional image?
          We much appreciate feedback from longtime faithful blog readers such as yourself!

      Delete
    2. I enjoyed the post because it was a variety of brief updates from family and friends. The inclusion from Paul was interesting. I checked out the new Blog. Every time I have a wee dram of Loch Lomond single malt, I will think of him and prost to the new addition they’re expecting.

      Delete
    3. Steve, do you really drink Scotch occasionally? I never suspected. It has been probably twenty years since I could enjoy anything remotely "hard stuff." And I'm not sure I ever actually enjoyed it. It certainly was nowhere near as delicious as mango or nectarine or peach. I'm talking ripe, raw fruit here, not brandy.

      Delete
    4. Steve, do you really drink Scotch occasionally? I never suspected. It has been probably twenty years since I could enjoy anything remotely "hard stuff." And I'm not sure I ever actually enjoyed it. It certainly was nowhere near as delicious as mango or nectarine or peach. I'm talking ripe, raw fruit here, not brandy.

      Delete
    5. Morris, jumping in ahead of Steve here, but please allow me to explain that no one actually likes Scotch. We drink it only for health elixir purposes, and spend our lives searching for the single malt we can tolerate with the least pain, not for the best taste. As we age and need to control the bacteria in our system, and keep our blood a bit thinner, the choice is Scotch, or absurdly expensive prescription medications. So we choose Scotch, even though the burning pain as it progresses through our gullet, sometimes makes us want to give in and start popping pills. In the past I think I have mentioned my grandmother on my mother's side as the best example I know of the true medicinal qualities of Scotch. She had a "toddy" every night, lived to a couple of weeks short of age 100, and was still doing the Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle until the last three weeks of her life. I follow her brave example, no matter how badly it hurts.

      Delete
    6. Not for the taste, but for the medicinal? I never realized that! I must have read the wrong ads. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you Steve. This will be quite the adventure. Despite my roots tracing to Loch Lomond, I have to admit I have never tried the local single malt. Does it have a peaty taste or more of a highland finish? My heart, or at least my taste for Scotch, apparently favors the islands, as I prefer Laphroaig, or in grim times of recession, some of the lesser Islay single malts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got around to reading CAELEN. Congratulations, I think. At a dozen years your senior, I'm glad it isn't me. No way I'd have the energy.
      There is a mystery here: I, too, find Laphroaig the least painful medicine. Coincidence? There aren't many with such a perverse taste. In celebration of your Clan, it is clearly my solemn duty to toast the occasion with a bottle of Laphroaig. A grim necessity, but I know my duty when I see it.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Chuck. You are a stalwart for taking on such a challenge as a bottle of Laphroaig. I thank you for showing such support for someone you know only from a distance, and I will be sure the future Caelen is raised knowing of your legendary effort. If you should fail in your quest, leave instructions for someone to send the unfinished Laphraoig my way, and I will do best to finish it in your honor. Grim task though it may be.

      Delete
    3. The only time that I had a glass (a single glass, mind—or maybe it was two, what the hell!) of Laphroiag—at some friends a few miles down the freeway in San Jose, California—I had to stop alongside the freeway on the way home and throw up....

      Delete
    4. That can happen when one takes the cure. Made you feel healthier though, didn't it? What, you expected a drink or two of Scotch to be enjoyable?

      Delete
  3. Susan, the great thing about being retired is that there are no rules. You can re-invent yourself as it pleases you. I've tried on a few new hats myself. A few things I've noticed:

    -You'll be frantically busy. Every retiree I know has said "how on earth did I have time to have a job?"
    -You'll probably spend lots of time visiting family.
    -You won't end up doing the things you thought you'd do with all that time. It'll be something unexpected.
    -You'll spend far too much time at medical appointments.

    All that said, it's a great opportunity. If you have always wondered, "What if I'd taken that job on the North Slope? What if I'd joined the Resistance?", you have a chance to find out. Don't waste it, and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, one thing about hanging around with the staff of Moristotle & Co. as you do is that you have several retired guys to take notes on. I believe that I was interviewed about my own first year of retirement the first Wednesday in May, if you want to double-check that. (You know how to go down to the archive directory in the sidebar, right?)
        You're doing one thing already I would certainly recommend to someone retired with your talent: Blog! Works for me, and my wife is even bugging me less about it in my 17th month of retirement than she had been.

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...delayed because "moristotle" was spelled with three letter tees]

    If Motomynd has not yet settled on a purchase of land in the Central Coast area of California I would advise him to access a series of articles published in the San Luis Obispo Telegram Tribune regarding the problem of severe overdrafting of the underground water aquifer lying to the east of the Salinas River and Paso Robles. The big vineyards that have been developed in the area pump out far more water than is replenished by natural means. Local home owners have had wells go dry and are having to truck in water. It's an old story: the developers of the properties haven't wanted to admit that they've created a problem and have resisted efforts to regulate the situation. Recently, they've admitted there is problem, but are still resisting the kind of regulation that will end the "beggar thy neighbor" situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for this information. The increasing number of vineyards was our number one concern in driving around that area looking for property. We hadn't researched their drain on the aquifer, but will do so now. Our main concern was their ecological impact. Vineyards wipe out native flora and fauna nearly as effectively as a paved parking lot, and they are taking over that region of California like kudzu takes over huge expanses here in the Southeast. We are used to such short-sightedness in places like North Carolina, Florida, Georgia, etc, but it is an amazing turn of events in a state that is supposedly populated by enlightened people who pride themselves on protecting the natural environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short-sighted behavior isn't constrained by geographic boundaries. Of all the states that rely on underground aquifers for water supplies, California is one of two that doesn't regulate pumping of water from aquifers or the drilling of new wells. 

      Delete
  7. California is beginning to emerge as quite the conundrum. Virginia and North Carolina are basically set up to keep bankers, developers and industrial hog farmers happy. California seems basically set up to keep bankers, developers and industrial vegetable growers happy. From an animal welfare angle that is a step up, but from a quality of human life and environmental perspective, I'm not so sure.

    After your previous tip I read that vineyards use something like 2/3 of the water pumped from the Paso Robles groundwater basin: That is ominous. While driving around that area earlier this year we noticed many vineyards where there used to be none, and no water where there used to be plenty. The articles you recommended did a nice job of explaining the problem, but I have yet to read where anyone has a plan to address the problem. The thought of buying a home there and then having to truck in water, makes my original plan of Iceland in summer and Kenya the rest of the year seem much more viable.

    Thank you, as always, for your insider's perspective on the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To Paul Clark (motomynd), I only have to say that we live in a world in which even one of its most basic elements—water—has been commodified. Actually, the commodification of water began here in the middle of the 19th century, when court decision determined that it should be treated like a mineral, timber, and other naturally occurring things and belong to the first user who might appropriate it and make use of it. When it's used up and gone, find something else to exploit. Our state has some examples of aquifers exhausted by overuse and the land thereafter abandoned for agriculture. This has occurred in the Apple Valley area and the area around Borrego Springs in San Diego County. I believe that because those aquifers were very small little note was taken of these events in Sacramento.
          The same has happened in the Casa Grande area of Arizona. There are many acres of abandoned fields around Casa Grande because there is no water left to pump. The problem is that on both local, state, and national levels money holds great sway—not only in its ability to help pay for election propaganda, but also in its ability to engage in on-going propaganda of its own. Around here the propaganda is aimed at diverting water from fisheries and environmental purposes to water the formerly desert fields of the industrial farmers on the west side of the Central Valley.
          The commodification of the very air we breathe is already upon us.
          For Paul: Perhaps the Icelanders learned something from their own ecological disaster a few centuries ago (referred to in Jared Diamond's 2005 book, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed).

      Delete