Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Hoping you and yours are well

And what about everyone else?

By Moristotle

Yesterday morning I messaged a beloved cousin, “I hope you and all yours are well.” Even before I pressed Send, my “inner voice” spoke up to remind me that it represents my universally compassionate self, which avoids stepping on a bug or a little frog, which is sobered into silence whenever I eat the flesh of an animal that did not hope to be slaughtered to become food, which had been stirred the day before when I witnessed from a few feet away a frail-looking bird hovering on a branch of our persimmon tree, the mild wind ruffling its feathers.
    This self hopes for all creatures to be well, for everyone to be well. Would that everyone and all creatures were.
    Call it projection on my part, but would that everyone had a universally compassionate self, and an inner voice that spoke up for it.
    I can only continue to listen to my own.


Copyright © 2017 by Moristotle

2 comments:

  1. Oh Morris, we need sentiments like this now more than ever. I believe it's called humanity, even though it can extend to all creatures. Much of life, if left to nature, eats other life in order to live. It takes consciousness to see that an alternative is possible. Perhaps that is what we are here for. Thank you! Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I personally use the phrase, "You and yours", my only caring thoughts are for the person and their family. That's it. But you bring up other very interesting aspects to consider.

    ReplyDelete