Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

I’m being targeted

Pro & con

By Jim Rix

I recently viewed an episode of Adam Ruins Everything (truTV)* in which comedian Adam Conover exposes internet services like Facebook and Google for eavesdropping on your e-mail and activity and then providing your profile to prospective advertisers.
    Based upon the type of advertisements that I have received recently, it appears that I may have an abnormally small penis and suffer from erectile dysfunctionality.
    However, I’m not worried, because other email ads assure me that there are more than a few young Russian women who, if I read between the lines correctly (and I believe I do), are ready, willing, and able to alleviate these problems.
_______________

*

Copyright © 2017 by Jim Rix

5 comments:

  1. Love it. Recently the wife put up a photo with us in it and FB added "with Roger Owens". Not that it would be hard to figure out. But I thought, 20 years ago if I had been identified digitally by a worldwide secret computer network, I would have gone completely Gary Bussey batsh*t crazy. Now i'm like, "They'll just try to sell me stuff and I'll tell them to bug off..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's easy enough to just hang up (again and again and again) to the robocalls. But, dang, if I don't HATE it that we've come to this....

      Delete
  2. This is scary. I'm watching a TV program, commercial for something I've never tried or ordered. An hour later I get on FB and that same product comes on, with my name saying I would enjoy the product. Is TV connected to FB?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whooo, I don’t know, but this whole thing makes me realize, I seem to be so oblivious (I mean indifferent) to ads that I would never even notice co-incidents like that. I hope that I really am that indifferent (and impervious) to advertising – Facebook & Google wasting all that time and expertise on me!

      Delete
  3. Get used to it. Every time I look something up or shop online, I get ads for it everywhere for a week or two. If I could think of any way to savagely punish those responsible, I certainly would.
    I long for the days we innocently tried to mess with telemarketers "Have you been saved?...." Now I rarely pick up if I suspect spam, and hang up on spam without even bothering to get angry. It is so pervasive that even boycotting advertisers isn't worth the trouble.

    ReplyDelete