Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

A casualty of the cold

...or the holidays

By Moristotle

Is it wrong of me to feel sympathy (if not empathy*) for this stark casualty of the cold? But, wrong or not, I do somehow suffer at the sight....
    I’m on safer ground to feel both sympathy and empathy for our esteemed Jonathan Price, for the negligence with which his December 31 piece, “Sex and the Court of Public Opinion,” has been greeted. In his case, I don’t think it was the cold, but rather that we published his excellent essay – of which I said in a comment, “I’m only sorry (for you) that your piece isn’t being published in The New Yorker or The Atlantic. It deserves to be” – on New Year’s Eve!
    Dear readers (and other members of the Moristotle & Co. staff who were undistractedly partying on December 31), help me rectify this: read Jon’s article, and comment! Please!
    Thank you from the depths of my editor’s heart!
_______________
* For how could I claim to experience the “inner life” of such a creature as that pictured on my back porch?


Copyright © 2018 by Moristotle

2 comments:

  1. Sorry Morris, I read it and found it very good and insightful. I guess it got me to thinking so much I forgot to comment because I remember I had planned to comment. Not sure I could have added anything.

    By the way what the hell is that a picture of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I wish I could say what the creature is/was, some sort of grasshopper-looking thing (going by the back legs).

      If you think of what you might have said (or would like to say) about Jon's essay, please go to his post and record it. Thanks!

      Delete