Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

My winter doldrums

By Sharon Stoner

My personal editor wrote me, “Keep warm. Or are you already air-conditioning down there?” (I live in “sunny Florida.”)
    Well, I told him, it’s 41° ‪at 11 a.m‬. Up from 28° last night. I think that the AC will be off for quite a while. Hard freeze this morning.

    He asked me if I would join an enterprise he’s involved with and contribute some pieces of writing.
    I thanked him for the compliment but told him I’m not sure I have the impetus to write much more than this. I read “energy” in his emails, but I don’t have that level of energy. No sunshine for days, and I just don’t seem to have any “get up and go.”


Yes, I’m one of those. I didn’t think I’d need to buy another special light for SAD (seasonal dissociative disorder). “Thanks, Dad, for the inheritance! May you rest in peace.”
    It runs on my father’s side of the family, you see.
    My own, personal initial diagnosis was mild chronic depression – hereditary – and PTSD, with short-term memory loss and inability to articulate my thoughts. (You wouldn’t have recognized me 20 years ago!) I could not speak in a normal manner or see very well. I was agoraphobic for two years.
    Everyone has a breaking point and I was pushed to mine.
    Anyway, until the sun shines again, I’m useless.


Copyright © 2018 by Sharon Stoner

5 comments:

  1. My dog Del and I have the same problem. But it's more the cold than sunshine as we have had a lot of that, just temps between 6 and 26. Those are highs. It's summer in Costa Rica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT?! You’ve had a day in northern Mississippi when the high was 6°? And another of 26°? You WOULD want to be back in Costa Rica!

      Delete
  2. Today will be the first day above freezing in two weeks. 33 degrees and tomorrow they say we are going back into the twenties again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that I have been taking too much for granted my own ability to beam even on a cold, dark day. Probably other readers too? Sharon, your “personal editor” seems a “Beamer” as well. Right?

    ReplyDelete