Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, June 16, 2019

All Over the Place: Father

By Michael H. Brownstein











I always thought you would outlive me
Lifting heavy boxes past the age of seventy,
Carrying them fifty feet without rest
As if you were white water riding a crest
Of a wave digging talons into sand—

You were always the one I could count on to stand
As my corner man in the boxing ring
Or tell me a lie when I was asked to sing
At this function or that, knowing my throat
Was stale bread, textured oat.
Yet now I find you tied to machines
Calculating strokes of your heart on reams
Cascading past the nurse’s station in intensive care.
I left work early wondering if I dare
Peek in to see you beyond the open door.
You smile, plant heavy white stocking feet to the floor:
I’m OK, you tell me, my heart was racing,
And you move your finger to your chest as if tracing
A child’s picture shaded with red
An intricate design with a loose thread.


Copyright © 2019 by Michael H. Brownstein
Michael H. Brownstein’s latest volume of poetry, A Slipknot Into Somewhere Else, was published by Cholla Needles Press in 2018.

3 comments:

  1. This poem resonated very strongly with me today, on Father's Day, enough to move me to tears as I was eating my lunch. I look forward to reading more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. André, when I scheduled Michael's poem, several days ago, for publication today, I didn't even think that it would be posting on Father's Day!

      Delete
    2. Andre,

      Thank you for your most kind words.

      Michael

      Delete