Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

As the World Turns:
For plenty to be thankful for in 2020

Collard greens and cornbread New Year

By Ed Rogers

I’ve got the blackeyed peas cooking this morning and later the collard greens and cornbread. I don’t know how many people do that each New Year’s Day, but it was a tradition in the South for my family and others, and it’s about the only tradition I carry on. In the hard times that was the only meal most people had down here, and it is said that if you honor the hard times on the first day of the year you’ll have plenty to be thankful for the rest of the year.

Copyright © 2020 by Ed Rogers

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Ed. I don't remember that my own family ever "celebrated" New Year's Day like that, but we did eat a lot of cornbread, beans, and poke sallet when I was a child in rural California!

    ReplyDelete