Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

The Ride Not Taken

By Paul Clark (aka motomynd)

When I settled into a relationship and gave up traveling the country and the world as a writer and photographer, one of the first – and most miserable – gigs I tried was co-ownership and part-time operation of an antiques & collectibles shop in a quaint, pseudo-historic village in central North Carolina. I quickly learned the mindset of “antiques people” is…unusual. In any other realm I worked, if someone had offered to sell a multi-million-dollar, 1957 gull-wing Mercedes for $10,000, everyone would have jumped at the unbelievable opportunity. But an “antiques person” would instinctively say, “How about $9,000?” Yes, unusual.
    The gig had many dark months with very few bright spots. One exception was the day she rode to the front door on her motorcycle, pulled off her helmet and sent her long, flowing hair cascading over her shoulders, and walked in the front door.
Carmen Electra
    My first thought: “Now I know where Carmen Electra went when she left Baywatch.” My second thought: “Don’t act stupid, in case Dennis Rodman is with her.” I say this not only because of what I had read about their volatile relationship, but I had caught glimpses in person when I had the wonderful opportunity to spend some time around the Baywatch crowd. There I had a camera I could hide behind and a wide-open beach as an escape route; here I was trapped behind a sales counter: nowhere to hide, no place to run.
    She walked in – alone, thank goodness – nodded my way, and took a left toward the back of the shop. She was, as they say, hot – smoking hot – a near clone of Carmen. After looking around briefly, she walked over and asked who took the Africa wildlife photos in the back.
    “I did,” I said. “I’ve been to eight countries there.”
    “Oh. Who owns the bike out front?”
    “I do.”
    “Nice job on the mods,” she said. “I like it. Maybe we should ride some time.”
    “Sure,” I said, “love to.” I gave her a business card and hoped she would get in touch. She didn’t.


motomynd headed for a
motorcycle-based retirement
Months later, I was riding a favorite back road I often rode from my home in Carolina to a cluster of twisting roads I loved in Southside, Virginia, when I came up behind a Harley-Davidson. A Harley ridden by a woman in a very nice-fitting pair of jeans, I couldn’t help but notice. I throttled back a bit to enjoy the view, but after a couple of miles I got bored. She rode like most Harley riders: fast in the straight stretches, like someone’s grandmother when she came to a curve. As we neared my favorite set of twisties, I blinked my headlight to let her know I was coming by, dove into the corner, and flashed past. As I went by, I thought, “I know that bike.”
    About ten miles farther up the road is a store where I often stopped for gas and a bottle of water or a coffee, before heading back home. I was outside, checking over my bike, when she rode up. She stopped, took off her helmet, said, “Thought I knew that bike,” and went inside. In a couple of minutes she came back out, walked over to me, and chatted while she drank a beer.
    “Sorry I never got in touch,” she said. “Based on what I just saw, you would be a lot of fun to ride with.”
    “Based on what I just saw, would we see much of each other after the first curve?”
    To her credit, she actually laughed when I said that.
    “So,” I asked, “can I be really rude and ask why you never got in touch?” I also wanted to say, “other than you are young and hot and I’m not,” but to my credit I stopped short of that.
    “If I tell you why, you will think it’s silly.”
    “Try me.”
    Thus ensued a very entertaining 15-minute chat, until I headed for my favorite twisty backroads and she headed for the interstate. Why people ride motorcycles on the interstate is beyond me, but that’s just my personal opinion.
    Anyway, the gist of the chat, was that she had actually come into the antiques shop looking for me because her husband had been in a few weeks earlier, mentioned my Africa travels and motorcycle to her, and she thought I sounded interesting. After meeting me in person she decided I was indeed interesting – even though I was way too old for her. At least she laughed when she said that: how polite. Armed with my business card, she had gone online to check me out.
    “I liked your site,” she said, “and your writing, but then I found your writing on this other site – something ‘stotle’, ‘Aristotle’ maybe? – and it just turned me off.”
    “Turned you off?”
    “You sounded so anti-religious. I couldn’t take it.”
    “So, you’re religious?”
    “Strongly. Christians have it right.”
    After further chat, I said something to the effect, “So, since you are married, and strongly Christian, you really did come in just looking for someone to ride with. And you didn’t want to ride with me because I seemed anti-Christian?”
    And she said, “Well, truthfully, I wanted to dump my plastic surgeon for someone more exciting, and I thought you might be more exciting.”
    Very confused now, I said, “Dump your plastic surgeon?”
    And without hesitation she said, “Yes, end my affair with him and find a more exciting one. Thought you might be it.”
    “So, I’m too anti-religious to have an affair with?”
    “Told you it would sound silly.”
    And there I stood, speechless. “Bizarre” is about all I could come up with. Feeling like any discussion beyond that would be like trying to find the end of a circle, I put on my helmet, said, “Nice to see you again,” and rode away.
    So there you have it: a married, devoutly Christian, super-hot Carmen Electra look-alike might have ended her affair with her plastic surgeon and started one with me, if only she hadn’t seen my writing on Moristotle and deemed me too anti-religious for her principles. Thanks, Morris.

motomynd riding a mean slide with his son,
after young second wife talked him into a different type of retirement

Copyright © 2020 by Paul Clark

13 comments:

  1. You're welcome, Paul, but maybe I should be thanking YOU, for ending your account on such a funny line, which, as I think I told you at the time, made me laugh out loud, which I don't ordinarily do when I'm reading. But most things funny don't arrive so unsuspectedly as that concluding line of yours.
        What a strange creature, that Carmen Elektra lookalike. "Christians have it right"! She wasn't Catholic, so I don't suppose she crossed herself before mounting her plastic surgeon's gorge. Maybe they prayed together while coupling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Relying heavily on hazy memory, it seems that back in the early 1970s, the rock group Jethro Tull put forth a lyric about man creating god in the image of man, for man's own purposes. Based on what I've seen in the five decades since, I can't argue with their opinion. As for the particular biker I missed taking that ride with--thanks to you, ha!--I never wanted to even try to get inside that mind. As an old friend of mine used to say: "you know some women are upset when they start throwing shoes; you know other women are upset when you see a stiletto heel coming at your eye." If given the opportunity, I'm not sure I had the nerve to get close enough to her to find out which type she might be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this the Jethro Tull lyric?

      © Ian Anderson 1971

      In the beginning Man created God;
      and in the image of Man
      created he him.

      2 And Man gave unto God a multitude of
      names,that he might be Lord of all
      the earth when it was suited to Man

      3 And on the seven millionth
      day Man rested and did lean
      heavily on his God and saw that
      it was good.

      4 And Man formed Aqualung of
      the dust of the ground, and a
      host of others likened unto his kind.

      5 And these lesser men were cast into the
      void; And some were burned, and some were
      put apart from their kind.

      6 And Man became the God that he had
      created and with his miracles did
      rule over all the earth.

      7 But as all these things
      came to pass, the Spirit that did
      cause man to create his God
      lived on within all men: even
      within Aqualung.

      8 And man saw it not.

      9 But for Christ's sake he'd
      better start looking.

      Delete
  3. Good story Paul sorry I'm just getting around to commenting. Taking a ride like that is like taking one with a Republican chick. Back in the day, it seemed like they all wanted to take a ride on the wild side. I went to one of the Tull's concerts in San Francisco. It was right after the release of Aqualung. We dropped some windowpane, it was a very wild ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, there must be something about Tull concerts. I also went to see them--in Virginia, sadly, not San Francisco--right after the release of Aqualung, and my date also dropped some acid. I did not, for the record. I vaguely recall Ian Anderson doing some sort of "electric flute" thing and every time he did sparks would fly or something like that, and my date would go "oooohhh" very loudly and try to climb over the seats ahead of us toward the stage. After the concert, walking to my car, she kept saying "the lights! I have to catch the lights!" and I had to keep tackling her because the lights she was trying to catch were the headlights of oncoming cars. After all that, for some reason I never had any interest in dropping acid. Beyond that, the only other detail I can still remember of the evening was that Captain Beefheart was the opening act for Tull. As a naïve teen born and raised in southwest Virginia, that performance was so overwhelming I almost wished I had dropped acid; I'm not sure Beefheart was intended to be enjoyed/endured without the aid of some sort of mind-altering drug or drink.

      Delete
  4. She said she was very "religious". Not "very Christian". ALL "religion" is just man's interpretation of what he thinks God is and wants. I know a lot of "religious" folks who I don't think actually believe in God at all. As Jimmy Buffet said, there's a fine line between Saturday night and Sunday morning! Good read man, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger, looking back, many of the best people I've known were deeply religious, and ALL the worst people I've known were deeply religious. Don't know if that is just my luck, but it has been enough for me to long-ago decide that "being religious" is irrelevant when assessing someone's character.

      Since you mentioned Jimmy Buffett: in the late 70s/early 80s I made a nonstop drive from Washington, DC to Key West in a Porsche 911 Targa. In the open cockpit I may as well have been flying in a WWI biplane, and I was battered by the time I made it to the Keys. Back then the Keys were fairly desolate, and fairly dangerous, but I finally risked stopping at a bar that was still open well after 2 in the morning. Asking for coffee instead of booze made me a suspect of something, apparently, and I had some interesting conversations with total strangers over the next 30 minutes. I also noticed a guy playing a guitar and singing and doing a very good job of it. When I said "that guy sounds almost like Jimmy Buffett" people burst out laughing. Turned out it was Jimmy Buffett, and this local bar was one of his favorite places to try out some of his new music. At the time he had a pseudo 'fro hairstyle and so did I, so the locals made us pose for photos together. That memory, and the coffee, kept me awake the rest of the way to Key West.

      Delete

    2. Roger, the text certainly implies she was claiming to be Christian-religious:

      “So, you’re religious?”
      “Strongly. Christians have it right.”

      Delete
  5. That is the lyric. There was much more to it than I remembered. Don't think I had looked at that album cover since high school, but it must have had some heft because I have remembered the gist of it nearly 50 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At the one I was at Ian came down from the roof in one of those space balls that twist around in all directions. He was playing his flute and the ball had crazy lights all over it. Never, lost control on acid but have known a lot who have. It's like having a good dream or a bad one you just have to remember it's a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ed, being in high school and college in Southwest Virginia during the 70s, instead of in California in the 60s, I had very limited exposure to the "turn on, tune in, drop out" scene. I mean, we used to hunt mushrooms so we could eat them: weird, I know. My observation is that being around people dropping acid, if you are not also dropping acid, is much like being around people who are drunk, if you are not also drunk: it may be their dream, but it's your nightmare. Of course, I really liked Jethro Tull without using additives, so maybe when I'm straight, I'm already partway to where people go when they indulge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't get me wrong I only dropped acid three times in my life...that was one. The last time someone gave me some sunshine 25. I promised God if he would let me down from that shit, I'd never do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ed, I've said the same about Scotch a couple of times, but I still have a shot a few times a week. As we get older, I guess we get better at knowing where the line is, before we get so far across it we have no clue where to even look for it

    ReplyDelete