Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, January 24, 2020

As the World Turns: Humana sucks

By Ed Rogers

I have gotten to the point of accepting things as they are – not that I feel good about it – but there is little I can do to change them. People have become so locked down in their own tribe that they have stopped noticing what is going on around them. For some reason, we are letting the stock market and unemployment reports trick us into believing all is well. Prices are going up while wages stay the same, so, while more people are working, they are working for less. I don’t own stock, but I know that the money stock owners have has to come from somewhere...that would be your pocket. The only reason I’m writing this is that the last straw landed on this camel’s back.
    My wife (Janie) and I lived for four years in Costa Rica, where prescription drugs were free. But even with free or almost-free medical care down there, I kept paying my premiums for Medicare and supplemental insurance with UnitedHealth. I did, however, drop Humana Part D. After returning to the States, we joined Humana again for Part D under Medicare. The premium at that time was $22.60 for me and $26.30 for Janie, who hadn’t told them that she had been covered in Costa Rica, so they fined her for not having coverage those four years. (That fine goes on forever, by the way.)
    I recently checked my bank account only to find an outrageous increase in my Part D drug cost. In December I paid $27.90 for me and $30.60 for Janie. As you can see, the premiums had increased over the last three years, but not by that much. But my January 2020 bill was $59.60 for me and $62.20 for Janie, which got me on the phone to Humana. In a nutshell, they said to take it or leave it.

    I decided to leave it. I took a list of all of our drugs and went onto GoodRx and checked their coupon system. (I’m sure there are other companies that do the same thing.) With GoodRx coupons that cost me nothing, I can get my drugs from Kroger for approximately what I had been paying Humana before their 2020 increase. Me $26.00, Janie $33.71. I’m sure Janie and I can’t be the only people getting the short end of the stick from Humana. If you have friends or family with Humana, tell them there are other answers than letting these insurance and drug companies take advantage of them.
    Don’t forget: no matter what party you support, we are neighbors first, and when they come for one of us, they come for us all. Where I stand today, you will stand one day.


Copyright © 2020 by Ed Rogers

2 comments:

  1. with you mr r, as much as i can be. i took some heart for the future, being driven by a young man in a LYFT, i found that he was almost done studying for his BA in Political Science (now, there's an interesting title!) and i asked him about our country. He simply said, "I think we can do better." I know we can. I continue to hope. Best of luck to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is an update. Another girl I have spoke to about dropping Humana informed me that the only time you can drop them is between Oct. something and Dec 7th. They can raise your rate throughout that time and you can do nothing. I also have to request it in writing. I was told the forms to do so were on the membership site under forms. They are not there, but I was able to find them using google.(if anybody wants them I can sent you a blank copy over the internet.) There is a list of things that will allow you to unenroll as they called it. However, I met none of the requirements. So I told them we were moving back to Costa Rica. We'll see how that goes. Susan, as for your FYFT driver, Most of us will be dead before he'll be able to change anything. Trump did an interview in Devos where he said if reelected he was cutting back on SS and medicare. We are one election away from the end as we know it.

    ReplyDelete