Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, September 13, 2020

All Over the Place: Ends

(After an Aztec myth)

By Michael H. Brownstein

They gave me five wives for a year
and asked me to walk to the stone knife.
I did this willingly, not like the tales of history,
but because I had to.
I was a god,
the closest one to the sun,
the owner of the heart that grows larger.
Without me the sun will stop in the sky.
I alone walk the steps.
I alone meet the knife.
I alone give my heart.
I am sun.


Copyright © 2020 by Michael H. Brownstein
Michael H. Brownstein’s volumes of poetry, A Slipknot Into Somewhere Else and How Do We Create Love?, were published by Cholla Needles Press in 2018 & 2019, respectively.

4 comments:

  1. This poem could almost be the template for the Christian myth of human sacrifice for the redemption of sin....

    ReplyDelete
  2. And who says it's a myth? The Azteca were introduced to Huitzilopochtli, the hummingbird war god, by a crazy holy woman from the north. May seem an odd choice for a war god but hummingbirds are vicious little killers and often kill their nest mates and throw them out of the nest. The legend was Huitzilopochtli tore out the hearts of her nest mates and threw them "down the mountain", and the sun god was pleased. The sacrificial pyramids were symbolic mountains down which they slain were thrown, to remain in the good graces of the sun god. The Aztecs became victorious warriors for over four centuries under the banner of their god, just like Constantine's eastern Roman Empire flourished under the cross: "In hoc signo vinces," "in this sign is victory", his dream told him, and Christianity was raised from obscurity to dominance. What better proof of whose god is greater than victory in battle? Morris, I believe the template is not of the god in question but of the humans-times change, gods change, but people don't change. Great, great poem sir, thank you, and your range of knowledge complements you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realized too late (although I COULD have deleted my comment) that my "template" idea was unsupportable, so I deserve the comeuppance. But I hold by my assertion that the Christian story is a myth, and the hummingbird vision of the "crazy holy woman" is also a myth, however dramatically conceived. I assert it without proof, of course, which I freely admit, doing so on the basis of what I consider credible rational consideration, in line with the reality of the natural world that continues to be revealed and elaborated by hard-working, objective scientific folks. But I'm not arguing over this. Poetry also exists, and to it I would assign the tellings of seers and diviners. Live and let live, and I admire your eager acceptance of Aztec folklore. As well, of course, I underline your kudos for our fine poet, Mr. Michael H. Brownstein, long may he flourish!

      Delete
  3. Thank you both for the wonderful comments. Roger, you are too kind and Morris, thanks for the "long may he flourish!"

    Now we have to destroy the myth of Trump and all will be right with at least a small part of our planet.

    ReplyDelete