Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Highways and Byways: Flight

By Maik Strosahl

—inspired by the song “Fly from Here
by the English rock band Yes



Those days of flight
still come to me in slumber,
two souls unbound by gravity,
two wings joined by hands
through the mists and
breaking free into clear blue
eyes shining with wonder
as to what we would see,
where would we go together?


If we had known
our time was to be short,
that turboprops spin and
slice the seconds away,
would we still have chanced
to dream the sky?

Our flight still comes to me,
played on movie screen eyelids,
and I can still feel
the flutter of weightlessness,
the touch of
flying through the heavens as one
with but one regret:

That we let ourselves
come back down
and our flight
is nothing more than a memory
I breathe in my sleep.


Copyright © 2020 by Maik Strosahl
Michael E. Strosahl has focused on poetry for over twenty years, during which time he served a term as President of the Poetry Society of Indiana. He also dabbles in short fiction and may be onto some ideas for a novel. He relocated to Jefferson City, Missouri, in 2018 and currently co-hosts a writers group there. In September 2020, he started the blog “Disturbing the Pond.”

2 comments:

  1. Oh my. Oh, my. How is it everything you write is like a peek into my own soul?

    ReplyDelete