Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Monday, August 23, 2021

When We Were Savages – II
  (A collaborative poem
  by five Jeff City Poets)


II. Ishi
(c. 1861 – March 25, 1916)


By Kurt Groner

I was a man of no name, from the Yahi people,
people who were brought to an end with the rush for gold

My people were no more, the last died at Three Knolls
I went to hide in the wilderness

When found by the white men,
my wrists were bound—
I just smiled and gave them no fight
They called me Ishi, Yana for ‘man’,
but I gave them no name,
for there was no one of my people
to speak it for me

I was put on display as the ‘wild savage’
I was studied like a specimen at the University,
was given a job as a janitor

They recorded my voice
to leave a trace of our language and customs

I was sick with consumption and ready to die,
I dreamed of my people,
I saw bright lights and wondered
what would be next for me
from the shadows of a life I no longer lived

With the rattle of my last gasp,
I said my goodbye:
“You stay, I go”
_______________
[Editor’s Note: Wikipedia article on Ishi.]


Copyright © 2021 by Kurt Groner
Kurt P. Groner has a Bachelor of Arts degree from Saint Louis University and a Master of Public Affairs degree from the University of Missouri, Columbia. He claims only to “being a neophyte poet,” but readily admits to enjoying playing guitar, swimming, and listening to live music. His favorite poet is A.E. Housman.

2 comments:

  1. Kurt, welcome to the world of published poets! Thank you for stepping out of your comfort zone to try something new. Hope this is just the beginning of a long prolific writing career!

    ReplyDelete