Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, April 28, 2022

All Over the Place:
US Master Sgt. Roddie Edmonds

For Yom HaShoah—
Holocaust 
Remembrance Day

By Michael H. Brownstein

The day the commandant of the Nazi POW camp called us outside,
he came to our commanding officer and told him to separate the Jews from the others.
Our Christian leader said in a voice steadfast and perfect so we could hear:
We are all Jews here. Everyone step forward.
The Commandant put a gun to his head and demanded: Separate the Jews.
He answered: Sorry, we are all Jews here. See? My men stand with me.
The Nazi threatened to blow his head away if he didn’t do as he said.
I am a Jew. Jews are not afraid of death. Jews are not cowards.
The only cowards present today are those who obey orders without thought or restraint.
The Nazi’s face bubbled over, his lips quivered, his eyes lost control of their sightline.
Then he placed his sidearm in his holster much too hard, turned and told his soldiers:
Get into your vehicles. We are abandoning this camp. Let the Jews starve.

It’s been many years now, I still remember how I stood for something moral and great.
Many times I met with frustration, conflict and life-threatening circumstances.
I would recall his words. Jews are not afraid of death. Jews are not cowards.
A great peace would fall over me. I knew he had said the only truth I needed to learn.

Copyright © 2022 by Michael H. Brownstein
Michael H. Brownstein’s volumes of poetry, A Slipknot Into Somewhere Else and How Do We Create Love?, were published by Cholla Needles Press in 2018 & 2019, respectively.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Michael such a moving story of self-determination and courage--such rare political qualities in our leaders and voters today,

    I had a similar "I am Spartacus" moment during the '68 Democratic Convention. A cop rounded up a small group of us. When he demanded to speak to our leader The dozen or so protesters instantly raised their hands and shouted "I'm the leader." and "Pick me officer. Pick me!"
    Never have been more amused or amazed by any group's courage and humor in the face of violence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And please don't think I mean in any way to demean or diminish the strength, fortitude, and courage of the man you described so well. I only meant to celebrate the spirit of independence exhibited by both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both, Michael & Bob. I know I am not nearly so brave as Edmonds and the ’68 protestors. I am beholden to them, and to you for reminding me of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Bob, for telling your tale of courage in the dark of violence and thank you, Moristotle, for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been said the greatest existential moral affirmation of our age is not "I shouldn't" or "I wouldn't" do evil, but "I can't do evil." Hannah Arendt

    ReplyDelete