Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Highways and Byways: OLEV

By Maik Strosahl

While I lived in Indiana, I used to love visiting the Indianapolis Museum of Art. On one of my many visits, I took the following snapshot and always figured I would write something about looking at love in a different way.
    The “LOVE” sculpture here is by Robert Indiana. It is made of Corten Steel. His series of pieces started with cards he sent in 1964 to artist friends, spreading around the world, including one sculpture in Jerusalem using Hebrew letters and this 1973 stamp, which has been used 425 million times on US mail:
    My snapshot showed up in my timeline on a social media site I visit, reminding me I had not yet found the words to accompany it.
    No time like the present to get things done.


OLEV

Perhaps it is all in perspective,
this love everlast,
eyes shiny as it approaches,
partly-clouded as it walks away.

It is still there for you, my friend,
though its ways misunderstood.
A part of you lost in that rear-view,
a part still dreaming of a lover
waiting up ahead

And you just keep on driving,
keep on rolling through these years.


Copyright © 2022 by Maik Strosahl
Michael E. Strosahl has focused on poetry for over twenty years, during which time he served a term as President of the Poetry Society of Indiana. He relocated to Jefferson City, Missouri, in 2018 and currently co-hosts a writers group there.

3 comments:

  1. Maik, thank you for the special inspiration your column today provided me, from the very first time I read it, almost ten days ago. You’ll see what I mean tomorrow….

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job. I really enjoyed the way you utilized various poetic terms to create a coherent vehicle of a poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maik, today’s inspirational quote seems serendipitous:

    Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage.

    Dale Carnegie

    Specializing in self-improvement and interpersonal skills, American writer and lecturer Dale Carnegie talked often about the power of action. It’s easy to let our small doubts and anxieties balloon into overwhelming fears — because we allow them too much time and space to grow rather than taking action to face them. “If you want to conquer fear,” Carnegie urged, “do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.”

    ReplyDelete