Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Highways and Byways:
Tolls of the Road/This is How

By Maik Strosahl

There are tolls on this road I travel. The life of a trucker can be very taxing on one’s home life. That same driver who charges across the country to make sure everything you need is available on the store shelf has sometimes payed a high price to do so.
    As with many other drivers, it was the financial aspect that drew me to the road. Driving can be a solution for those looking to catch up their bills and provide for their families. But what they don’t sell to you is that it can be lonely on the road and for those who are waiting for their family member back at home. Thus, many relationships are strained by the distance. Unfortunately, that has taken it’s toll in my family.

    Yesterday, this steering-wheel holder opened a new chapter in his life to explore, one that may lead to many new personal discoveries. But it will be a solo gig.
    I wish no harm to my now ex-wife, and I hope her new adventure brings her much happiness. I also look forward to continuing relationships with her three children who have also been mine these last eight years, and will be forever forward. I love you all.
    Today is a new day with its own miles to travel. I hold up my head, throw my coins into the toll booth tray, check the rear-views again before shifting my foot from the brake to the accelerator, and move forward down this new road, toward a tomorrow I cannot see. These wheels just keep turning and, for now at least, I will keep rolling with them, alone.


This Is How

You are here
but somehow there.

How do you say goodbye?

Your eyes stay fixed on mine
as my hand approaches
catching a wayward curl
falling,
taking it back
around your ear

and you turn
into the curve of my fingers
touching down soft
through your hair,
as I pull you closer

gently kissing
above your eyebrow,
again upon the eyelid
making one last attempt
to hold back the waters
before the dam fails.

I am here
but somehow going.

This is how I say goodbye.


Copyright © 2022 by Maik Strosahl
Michael E. Strosahl has focused on poetry for over twenty years, during which time he served a term as President of the Poetry Society of Indiana. He relocated to Jefferson City, Missouri, in 2018 and currently co-hosts a writers group there.

3 comments:

  1. It does help the pain a bit to write about it, doesn't it? I would guess truckers, of all people, know all about new roads taken, and old roads now closed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Lennie Cox: Wonderful poem! Can I use the poem in A Day's Encounter?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Roger and Lennie both! Sorry I did not see this comment earlier (still having issues with my mobile connections.

    Yes, Lennie, you have my permission. I will send an email soon since this message is older. May also throw in a couple other pieces for your consideration. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete