Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, April 21, 2023

Aristarchus of Samos

Click image to read text
In Harness with
Earth Day Tomorrow


By Moristotle

[I debated whether to byline this post “Moristarchus,” in homage to Aristarchus for inspiring today’s announcement, but decided that would be too energetic a song to sing, too big a planet, too large an orbit to assume.]

When I shared with my friend the Man of Montmartre that my “Quartina in Orbital Harness” had been posted on Highland Park Poetry’s Facebook page, he associated the poem with “some of the Cosmic Themes [of his] own recent musings,” and with Aristarchus of Samos (c.310–c.230 BC), who, he reminded me, “deduced, some 2,300 years ago, that the Earth was in orbit around the Sun, and not vice-versa.”

Copyright © 2023 by Moristotle

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Morris, this is great. I had never heard of the quartina before as a poetic type. It is very compelling, more insistent than the sestina, and more like a chant. Well done. Thanks for opening my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eric, if you’ve never heard of the quartina form, then maybe I really AM its originator! The sestina does go on a bit, and can seem too long.

      Delete