Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Goines On: Anonymous

Click image for more vignettes
“I’m amazed you didn’t know it was me,” read one sentence in the final of a series of anonymous comments.
    And Goines didn’t know who it was. Not Steve, whose comments were always short. Not Ben, who would have identified himself as well as crafted his
 words more skillfully. Not one of his cousins, who always identified themselves. Not Benny, who rarely used an exclamation mark....
    It was either someone whom Goines actually did know or a clever imposter – someone who had at least read the column being commented on. (“He”? Goines thought it was.)
    He could have moderated the comments as junk from the start, but he finally approved the first for posting, and then made the mistake of engaging the commenter, which led to two or three more anonymous comments, all a bit adversarial.
    Finally, in response to the last comment that he allowed to be posted, he challenged Anonymous to “make yourself better known to us.”
    But that only elicited more of the same, along with the statement about being amazed Goines didn’t know who it was.
    At that point Goines stopped approving. And so far there had been no further comment.
    Anonymous might just be trolling, attempting to provoke Goines by public contention – a provocateur.
    But Goines had to admit that the “I’m amazed you didn’t know it was me” remark was a deft stroke. It could be the invention of someone practicing getting into the heads of strangers, maybe eventually gaining their trust and being handed a key to their bank accounts...or, if it were a sociopath seeking no material gain, simply messing someone about for the hell of it.
     Goines wrote the incident off as a caution…and something on which to muse and peruse.


Copyright © 2023 by Moristotle

5 comments:

  1. Now that is odd. Any real friend, or even a sometime correspondent, would surely have identified themselves. The statement in and of itself indicates a profound, even narcissistic, self-centeredness. How could Goines NOT remember the great...whoever. It could be some old friend goofing him, but Goines, in my never-to-be-humble opinion, should not ignore this, and should remember to lock his doors and keep his head on a swivel, as well should Mrs. Goines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Roger, and Goines’ awareness of the dangers lurking around everyone, around every creature, grows with each waning day. It is not safe being born into this world. Thanks for your complicity.

      Delete
    2. The clues to the identity were there in the posts, you just didn’t recognise them as it was critique of you and your experience.
      If anything I revealed myself it was just the system that kept me anonymous!
      I am surprised but not a”profound even narcissistic or self centred” person -just someone who cares how our store workers are treated! In fact that analysis also show a sense of self entitlement but understandable as he was “defending” his friend and didn’t see the other side “anonymous” was standing up for!!
      Luckily I have very thick skin as I hope you do too!

      Fix the system as it won’t allow me to post as me, I am many things but NOT a coward to hide behind a curtain of anonymity!

      Penny

      Delete
  2. I admit I could’ve been softer but you know me- the passion takes over!! I thought I was posting as me as I entered my details etc but it kept posting as anonymous each time!

    Interesting how because no one knew it was me the assumptions that were made about this dark,self centered being posting then not revealing themselves!! When nothing could be further from the truth!

    I stand by my post but can say it wasn’t personal as I know you to be a good kind man but we all lapse at times!!

    So just in case it doesn’t say my name I’ll sign off!!

    Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to thank you, Penny, for happening to inspire this “Goines On” vignette. No need to explain or excuse anything, we’re good.

      I wish I could “fix the system,” but all I can do is suggest you look into the Google ID problem you seem to be having. What device are you using to comment? Have you tried a different device? Have you refreshed your web browser? Have you installed all of your operating system updates? Have you googled for Blogger advice?

      Delete