Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Death, too, is what happens....

Death, too, is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

In memoriam Professor Stephen Gardner

Yesterday I asked a professional colleague whether she were looking forward to our association's next annual meeting. "Have you talked with Stephen yet whether he'll accompany you again?" And she replied:
Stephen died November 10th. He had a fall at home while he was alone and it caused a brain bleed that was left unchecked until I got home at 6 p.m. He never regained consciousness. Although he received brain surgery, his brain stem was damaged. Brain stems cannot be repaired. We removed life support and he moved on to the next phase of existence at 2 a.m.
    I still find it unbelievable. I’m spending Christmas with his mother, who is 95 years old and devastated to lose her only son. He was 61.
    You can see his obit (I guess you still can) at shellhousefuneralhome.com. [Yes, you still can: go there and search obituaries on "gardner."]
    So, I’m not really looking forward to much or anything right now.
    But, I’ll be there.
I, too, am planning to be there.

In memoriam Professor John E. Smith

A few minutes later yesterday I received an email from the assistant to the Chair of the Department of Philosophy at Yale University:
Hi Morris,
    Just thought you should know the sad news that John Smith passed away on December 7. He was 88, visiting his daughter in Washington, and it happened very quickly. We are planning a small funeral tomorrow [i.e., today] with a burial in the Grove Street Cemetery, but a large memorial service probably in March. Sorry to be the bearer of this news.
    Love from both to both,
    Pat
Pat became John Smith's secretary during my junior year at Yale, while I was his bursary student in the department. The first "both" refers to her and her husband Alan, who were very kind to me, sort of my big siblings away from my childhood home in California, the second "both" to me and my wife, who took Pat and Alan to lunch in New Haven in the summer of 1976.
    The last time I saw her or Professor Smith was at another lunch in New Haven, in June 1989, when I bought meals for them and a classmate (another of John Smith's bursary students), on the occasion of our 25th Yale Class Reunion.
    As I recorded on November 1, my last correspondence with Dr. Smith was to bear to him the news (unwittingly) of the death of his good friend, Professor Errol E. Harris.
    Professor Smith's obituary appears in The New York Times. I have walked by the Grove Street Cemetery many times.
    John Edwin Smith may have been making other plans when he died. I had certainly been making other plans, considering whether to ask him about something I was reading in Yalom's novel, The Schopenhauer Cure:
JES, do you agree with the opinion that Schopenhauer was a greater philosopher than Fichte and Hegel?

In memoriam a young person

And yesterday, too, as reported in The Durham Herald-Sun this morning:
Chapel Hill—...a UNC Chapel Hill freshman hospitalized at UNC Hospitals since November 20 with swine flu, has died.
    Hospital spokesman..., contacted late Wednesday night, could provide no further details, except to confirm the death.
    [The] 18-year-old dramatic arts major from Rhode Island had been on life support before she died, apparently from complications of the H1N1 virus.
    [Her] illness had garnered national attention, and thousands of well wishers had been following her ordeal on a Facebook page titled "Prayers for Lillian."
Who's busier making other plans than a college freshman?

Missing the bus stop....

But it was this morning that this codicil to Lennon came to me. It came to me on my quarter-mile walk back from getting off the bus to the stop that I'd missed because I'd been...busy making other plans.

5 comments:

  1. From my friend Michael, a Georgian from Savannah:

    It's true: death is also what happens while we're busy making other plans...
        Sad but true.

    It even happened to John Lennon, busily planning what he would do as he entered the Dakota apartment building...
        "Hey, are you John Lennon"?
        Blam! Blam! Blam! Blam! [Mark David Chapman shot him four times: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lennon#Murder]
        The incentives to stop being so busy and appreciate life are piling up!

    Reply from Michael:


    Amen to that.
        If he were still alive, Lennon would now be 69 years old. Sorry he's not around—we sure could use him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a fatal accident on 101 this morning. I am not one to rubberneck but it was impossible not to look over at the multiple vehicles strewn across three lanes of traffic. The image of the pick up truck on its side, just absolutely battered, will remain with me for awhile. Quite likely it was someone from that vehicle that lost their life. Probably the farthest thing from that person's mind as they commuted to work this morning. I can't say that there is a "good" way to go, but to die on your way to work? Just days before a few paid holidays? I can certainly understand why people want to believe there is some eternal reward waiting at the end of this life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Cynthia, another professional colleague:

    I’m stunned to hear about Stephen. I met him for the first time last year when I sat next to him at dinner. Very funny and interesting guy. Thanks for passing this along. I would like to send a card to JoAnn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From my friend Douglas, the other bursary student in Professor Smith's Department of Philosophy:

    I am so sorry to hear about this, but what a great and long life he had! It was such a privilege to know him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From my friend Fred:

    Hi Morris,
        Thanks for the pointer.
        As an aside, must admit I had never heard the term "bursary student" before. In the unimaginative halls of the University of Wisconsin, if one was getting money, one had a scholarship. No other term was in use. The phrase "his" bursary student puzzles me. Did each prof have some money he could dispense to a student of his choice? Or was each bursary student assigned to a supervising prof, to make sure the youth was not spending it all on cakes and ale?
        Fred

    Fred, you are welcome for the pointer, by which I take it you mean the reminder not to spend all of your time busily planning, but to use more of it to appreciate life.
        But it subsequently occurred to me that life and death also happen while we're
    appreciating life (or contemplating death), and not only when we're busy making plans....
        I didn't make a study of the term "bursary student," but my understanding was that the university bursar accounted for that portion of a student's scholarship that was earned by the student's having a job provided by the university. The bursar probably processed the student's timecards as well.
        One of the jobs was working twenty hours a week in the office of the chairman of the Department of Philosophy. I'm not sure where the money came from (it might have been $400 for a term; tuition my first year at Yale was $2,000). The Sloan Foundation of General Motors Corporation had donated money to Yale to be dispersed at its discretion as "college scholarships." The $400 was likely part of the Sloan money, but the student had to do something to earn it.
        I googled on "bursary student yale" and found that the term is still very much in use, as evidenced by the following notice from a page titled "Opportunities for Yale Undergraduates":


    Bursary Employment
    Bursary students assist museum staff in every department of the Yale University Art Gallery. Through their employment, bursary students have the opportunity to interact and learn directly from curators, scholars, and educators as well as broaden their knowledge of art history and prepare for future career opportunities. Bursary students are important members of the staff and essential to the ongoing operations of the museum. Positions range from general office support to research for curatorial departments and assisting with the installation of special exhibitions.
        Student positions are posted on the Yale Student Employment Web site at http://www.yale.edu/seo.

        I chose the job in the Philosophy Department as an opportunity to get some additional insight into academic philosophy. I don't remember whether I did or not.

    ReplyDelete