Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, December 4, 2009

How you know you chose the right spouse

In Stylized: A Slightly Obsessive History of Strunk & White's The Elements of Style, I learned this morning how E. B. White (1899-1985) knew he had chosen the right woman to marry:
White married Katharine Angell in 1929 after what he later described as a "stormy" romance (when they first met, she was in a failing marriage and had two children). White later wrote, "I soon realized I had made no mistake in my choice of a wife. I was helping her pack an overnight bag one afternoon when she said, 'Put in some tooth twine.' I knew then that a girl who called dental floss tooth twine was the girl for me." [p. 32]

How did I choose?

Well, it wasn't hard. My wife of almost forty-four years was good-looking and intellectual. How could I resist someone who appeared in our very first conversation to be enthusiastically interested in what I was telling her about a book I was then reading [Gestalt Psychology, by Wolfgang Köhler (1887-1967)]? We were wed six weeks later.
    My wife is the only person I know who has read the whole of Marcel Proust's Remembrance of Things Past, and while I may be the one of us interested in modernism and the modern Irish writers (I have read most of literary critic Hugh Kenner's books and Ellmann's biography of James Joyce), she's the one of us who has actually finished reading Ulysses.
    Mention of my wife reminds me of one of her memorable observations. It was a speculation about why someone we know had chosen his wife. "It couldn't have been her face, but it might have been her fetching rear end."

How did you choose?

Please tell us in a comment how you know you chose the right one....

3 comments:

  1. LOL! well after making an awful choice the first time around, marrying someone who let me know in our first week of marriage that things I considered normal behaviour were COMPLETELY unacceptable, I was lucky enough to find someone who accepted me and my "ways" so I quickly snapped him up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well like Pineapple Girl I made an awful choice the first time around. But the second time has been it for me, not always smooth sailing but do not see how anyone can have that all the time. We care about most all of the same things , have same likes in lots of areas etc. I'm just crazy about him !!! We will celebrate our 23rd anniversary Jan 10, 2010.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROGER said? Looks like Dawn saying OF Roger to me! Yes, I agree, he's a good 'un.

    ReplyDelete