Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

All in a name

This morning at the office we had bagels and coffee for a colleague's eightieth birthday. It was a happy hour of reminiscing for us all. The celebrant told the story of a woman named Sexauer at the UNC campus he'd come to General Administration from. "It's a true story," he said.
Someone called the campus and asked for the dean.
    "He isn't available right now."
    "Could I speak to the associate dean, then?"
    "I'm afraid he's not available either."
    "Well, this is urgent. Isn't there anyone there I can talk to? Who is this?"
    "No, there's not. This is Sexauer."

6 comments:

  1. From my friend Rolf, in Germany

    Scandalous, during office hours?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From my friend Fred:

    Whether true (as he claimed) or not, it's certainly amusing.

    If this particular man says it's true, I believe it's true. Either that, or he's an even better story-teller than I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another story the celebrant told at the bagel party:

    The editor of a small newspaper in North Carolina sent a young reporter out to interview a man for his 100th birthday.

    "Sir," the young reporter said, "that's very old. Not many people live that long. Are there others in your family who lived to be that old?"

    "Well, my father lived to be 102, and his brother to be 101."

    "Is there anyone in your family who didn't live to be very old?"

    "Oh, yes, my sister. But she was always sickly. Died at 93....But they saved her baby."

    ReplyDelete
  4. From my friend Bill:

    Having just watched a mandatory closed-circuit two-hour presentation (complete with 8 vignettes and questions to test our absorption of the information) on sexual harassment and gender discrimination in the workplace, I'll not repeat this story at work. (It is amusing and more so because I believe I enjoy your amusement in posting it.)

    Ha, Bill, I'll bet your colleagues at work would enjoy the story too and not take it "the wrong way."

    I did enjoy posting it, indeed! One of the many pleasures of blogging. No wonder why so many have adopted it as a hobby, the wonder being why even more have not.

    ReplyDelete