Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Monday, May 28, 2012

At last

In the latest episosde of Mad Men, Michael Ginsberg (Ben Feldman) puts out the line that gets the Jaguar account for Sterling, Cooper, Draper, Pryce (& Harris, who puts out something else needed): "Jaguar. At last. Something beautiful you can truly own."
Mad Men: The Other Woman (2012: Phil Abraham) Season 5/Episode 11: Joan Harris (Christina Hendricks) & Peggy Olson (Elizabeth Moss) make career moves.
At last. An opportunity for Joan—
A partnership at 5 percent her own.
    But Peggy says she's finished, through,
 
    And does the only thing to do

"Good-bye, Don." He kisses her hand. She's gone.
This episode (Ginsberg's jingle) could be a symbol for one of advertising's missions: To persuade us to accept the delusion that we can "truly own" anything we can afford to buy. [Follow-up]

2 comments:

  1. OK, I'll bite. Why can't I truly own something I've bought? I don't own the computer I'm using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken, I'd like to be able to retort that you wouldn't understand my answer if I gave you one, but the truth is that my statement expressed a vague intuition I was having at the time, and I can't replicate it at the moment. If it returns, along with some words to express it better, you'll be among the first I'll tell them to.

      Delete