Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Retired to turf-turding

Post-retirement employment wasn't long to seek. My wife and I agree that May is our month to aerate our Bermuda grass lawn, and I started the job today, using my Hound Dog Coring Aerator1, bought in anticipation months ago at Lowe's Home Improvement, Mebane.
    The little reddish cylinders are the cores of clay pushed up when I stepped down on the aerator. "Cores"? They're turds! And I didn't spend two and a half hours today aerating a small section of lawn, I was turf-turding.

A healthy bag of turf turds
When you do your own turf-turding, if you have a boss who doesn't respect you and is no more your friend than the white ladies in the movie The Help (see my April 1st post), you can daydream about serving your boss a pie like the one Minny baked for Miss Hilly.
    Or if you very recently retired from such a boss....
_______________

8 comments:

  1. I detect a bitter taste in your mouth. If this is the first bad working experience you've had, count yourself lucky. Good Turf Turding on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, it's the white lady who has the bitter taste in her mouth, after she realizes what was in Minny's pie.
        Your comment "if this is the first bad working experience you've head" would be a perfect lead-in to a post I've been contemplating that would solicit "bad manager" stories from people. I plan to pursue that very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) what are you doing with the turds (the leftovers from the pie?)
    2) will you be able to finish by the deadline?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I break the turds down into grains, mix them with soil conditioner, then spread the mixture back on the turded turf and rake it in.
          I'm pretty much on schedule, but it's very time and labor intensive; I've put in about 26 hours so far. Good thing I like to "garden"! <smile>

      Delete
    2. Does your "supervisor" help with the raking at least?

      :)

      Delete
    3. My supervisor has been very helpful, unlike my final UNC supervisor in this respect, in refraining from micromanaging me (too much <grin>).
          [of course, I had made it so clear to that one at UNC that I didn't even want to see her face that she stopped managing me in any way at all. The last time I saw her was in the Atlanta Airport on Friday, April 20. Clues as to what her face looked like in Monday's poem.]

      Delete
  4. Look at the bright side.

    You had to take a lot of shit your final days a UNC.

    Now you get to shovel it yourself.

    It's nature's way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that bit of RixWit! Dependable now for 56 years it has been.

      Delete