Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, May 31, 2012

When you go fishing...

Carl Jung (1875-1961), who
made much of synchronicity
(roughly, spiritually
meaningful coincidence)
On Monday, in my Mad Men post, something prompted me to suggest that the episode (in particular, Ginsberg's jingle)'s theme might be that one of advertising's missions is to persuade us to accept the delusion that we can "truly own" anything we can afford to buy (like a Jaguar automobile).
    And Ken fairly commented, "OK, I'll bite. Why can't I truly own something I've bought? I don't own the computer I'm using?"
    And I replied, "The truth is that my statement expressed a vague intuition I was having at the time, and I can't replicate it at the moment. If it returns, along with some words to express it better, you'll be among the first I'll tell them to."
    In other words, my intuition had told me that there was something illusory (or delusional) about the idea that we could "truly own something"—or "anything we can afford to buy."


"Father and Daughter" was written
for the children's animated film
The Wild Thornberrys Movie
So it was striking today that while watching Paul Simon and Friends (via Netflix download), the 2007 ceremony of performances at the Library of Congress honoring Mr. Simon for the first-ever Gershwin Prize for Popular Music, I heard the following lyrics from "Father and Daughter" (2002):
Trust your intuition
Its just like going fishing
You cast your line
And hope you get a bite [emphasis mine]
    Well, in my case it seems to have proven to be like going fishing, but I'm not sure what, if anything, I was hoping to catch. I'm certain I wasn't hoping to catch a question I couldn't answer. (Ken has asked me a few of those.)

Maybe something of what I "intuited" is suggested by Simon's next four lines:
But you don't need to waste your time
Worrying about the market place
Try to help the human race
Struggling to survive its harshest night
The words even refer to the terrain where advertising reigns, the market place. Simon (the father reassuring and counseling his daughter) suggests that worrying about it—focusing on what we can buy and sell—shouldn't be our highest value. It isn't going to help us survive our harshest night.
     If we think it is, we're deluding ourselves?

Ken, I know that's more like a poem (or a sketch for one) than an answer to your question.
    Now I need to go back and work on the last paragraph of Monday's Mad Men post.
_______________

4 comments:

  1. This sounds very much like one of those ultimate questions: What really matters? I think it's a trick question. It's framed with the expectation that the answer will be universal, but perhaps the answer is always personal.

    In any case, I feel like paraphrasing Jesus at this point. [Sound of throat being cleared.] "Render unto the marketplace what is the marketplace's and unto humanity what is humanity's." So Simon is off base. It isn't a waste of time to worry about the marketplace. Surely not categorically. Sometimes the harshest night is being laid off with nothing in the bank and the mortgage payment due.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken, "trick question" sounds to me like a synonym for kōan—used in Zen practice, according to Wikipedia, "to provoke the 'great doubt" and test a student's progress." The expectation is that the answer will (and can only) be personal. Or, the answer will always be: It depends, as your second paragraph elegantly points out.
          Not sure that Simon is off base, however. I think that the marketplace lines recommend a focus on the more inclusive activity (helping the human race). One of the things that activity sometimes involves is action in the marketplace. But much (most?) action in the marketplace hurts the human race more than helps it (think hedge funds, greed, leveraging, off-shore accounts, tax loop-holes, bought legislators...), so that "worrying about [focusing on] the marketplace" would be inimical to helping.
          The older I get and the more I learn how little control I have over what happens, the more I realize that I, too, depend. My existence is contingent; I continually rely on and require the aid of others for support. I plan to say more about this shortly, in today's post.

      Delete
  2. You're right that the marketplace has its nasty side, but when I think of the things in your list, I also think of opportunity, investment, jobs, discovery, less hunger, less poverty. Of course, all of these can help and have helped the human race. Simon sets up a false dichotomy. It's a gray world, not a black and white one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken, And I think you are right to remind me of the other side of the marketplace. I failed to even think of entrepreneurs trying to develop "green" energy alternatives, which could be a huge boon to the human race (and other species). Simon does seem to have set up a false dichotomy, and thanks for helping me see it.
          I suspect that my "intuition" might have been what I believe is sometimes referred to vulgarly as a "brain fart." I would never call it that myself, of course, even if, after further reflection, I became convinced that that was what it really was, after all.

      Delete